Manchester To Sheffield Train

redcanuck

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but I need to get from Manchester Airport to Sheffield by train and back in November.  I did it about 5 years ago and found tickets for a few £'s each way.  Now the are £60 to £85 return.  I know prices have gone up, but there must be cheaper tickets somewhere.   Maybe they were last minute tickets I got last time and now I am trying to book 2 months in advance.

Does anybody have any suggestions how I can get cheaper rail tickets?

6 minutes ago, redcanuck said:

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but I need to get from Manchester Airport to Sheffield by train and back in November.  I did it about 5 years ago and found tickets for a few £'s each way.  Now the are £60 to £85 return.  I know prices have gone up, but there must be cheaper tickets somewhere.   Maybe they were last minute tickets I got last time and now I am trying to book 2 months in advance.

Does anybody have any suggestions how I can get cheaper rail tickets?

Where are you trying to book?

The journey is generally cheaper if you tie yourself to specific trains rather than buying open returns.  What dates and times are you looking to travel?

The off peak return is £35.40 so absolutely no idea how you are returning any tickets at the cost you quote.

Edited by HeHasRisen

20 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Where are you trying to book?

The journey is generally cheaper if you tie yourself to specific trains rather than buying open returns.  What dates and times are you looking to travel?

The off peak return is £35.40 so absolutely no idea how you are returning any tickets at the cost you quote.

Nov 13th to Nov 29th.  I get into Manchester at 7.40 am and fly out of Manchester at 8.10am. I also forgot about the senior rate so I have gotten it down to £34.    But that price is for next sunday,   I am just fiddling around trying to see if it is cheaper if you book a few days before I fly. If I put in the November dates I get £56 return.

The problem is there are a number of sites and I don't know which one is better.  

Edited by redcanuck

I would use the site of the main operator of the route (TP Express) but it does look like on the day you arrive its a Sunday and its a bus substitution day. 

The National Rail site is saying check back after the 19th September when I assume the timetable is finalised.

East Midlands Railway seems to have prices up for those days, unlike TP Express, they also operate most of the route. So look there.

Edited by HeHasRisen

2 minutes ago, redcanuck said:

Thanks I will do that.  What is a bus substitution day?    

Looks like some trains arent running between the airport and Manchester Piccadilly (where you need to change) on the 13th. So they usually put buses on.

But look on the East Midlands Rail site, mostly seems to be priced up there.

Edited by HeHasRisen

To get the over-60s rate, the Senior Citizens Railcard will cost £30 for 1 year.

You can buy it on-line(need a photo) and have it on your Smart Phone. Not worth it for one return  journey.  

The trains may be disrupted by engineering work near Sheffield at two locations on Sunday 13th November.

1)There will be a few diverted TPE trains (about 09:55 from Piccadilly)

2) Other trains will go as far as Chinley then a change to a bus from Chinley to Sheffield- (stairs and no lift at Chinley-there are special arrangements for disabled passengers). The bus may have limited luggage space.

3) Any train to Huddesfield then Sheffield.

4) Any train to Leeds then Sheffield,

(3)and (4) may cost more but as long as you have a ticket to Sheffield they may waive the extra.

Try Northern as they charge no fees and  as they set the fares for all  routes between the cities and can sometimes be cheaper.

Coming  back you can depart Sheffield at 03:25 arrive Airport 05:22  on a through train no changes and only one official stop. 

It seems to be distributive at weekends for the rest of the year as work progresses on the work at Dore and Totley station.

I got the train from Piccadilly but had to depart at Stockport where a bus was laying in wait to Sheffield.

As  Anne says there are alternatives to Leeds but you would of course double your time getting back to Sheffield.

The 03.25 from Sheffield takes the Pennine route and stops at Huddersfield 

On 14/09/2022 at 02:20, Cody's Granddad said:

It seems to be distributive at weekends for the rest of the year as work progresses on the work at Dore and Totley station.

I got the train from Piccadilly but had to depart at Stockport where a bus was laying in wait to Sheffield.

As  Anne says there are alternatives to Leeds but you would of course double your time getting back to Sheffield.

The 03.25 from Sheffield takes the Pennine route and stops at Huddersfield 

Looks like I will have to take that 3:25am train to the airport.   Northern and TPE are not showing prices or scheduled trains that far in advance but on the British Rail site I can get a return for around £34.   Is that the best I will be able to do  in this day and age?

Thanks again to all who given advice.