Life After Death

Well, is there?

I'd like to think there is but I'm firmly in the "no there isnt" camp.

A friend recently committed suicide,  I won't go into the details suffice to say my friend struggled to cope with the loss of a close family member. Bizarrely they seemed to be getting over it, we'd made plans, had chats then out of the blue I received a message telling me the sad news.  

I'd like to think my friend got what they wanted and is now with this family member and is happy. 

Is that a tad optimistic or are the people who genuinely believe in an afterlife on to something?

7 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Well, is there?

I'd like to think there is but I'm firmly in the "no there isnt" camp.

A friend recently committed suicide,  I won't go into the details suffice to say my friend struggled to cope with the loss of a close family member. Bizarrely they seemed to be getting over it, we'd made plans, had chats then out of the blue I received a message telling me the sad news.  

I'd like to think my friend got what they wanted and is now with this family member and is happy. 

Is that a tad optimistic or are the people who genuinely believe in an afterlife on to something?

I'm not sure. I suppose if I had to say one way or the other, I'd say that until there is some kind of evidence to the contrary, I'm not convinced there is an 'afterlife' as such.

I don't know, saying that there is a doubt in my mind. 

There have been 2 instances in my life where I'm convinced that there is a 'spiritual' realm.

When I was about 8 or 9 years old, some older children were playing with a ouija board. Although I was only watching, one of the children wished something evil about an older boy on motorcycle that had been tormenting the group. Several days later, I was on the back of the motorbike after being asked if I wanted to ride on the back of the bike. I agreed, but after a few minutes the bike skidded, toppled over and combusted. 

I'm 50 / 50 as to whether this was coincidence or not.

The other instance where I think there is a spiritual realm, was when I was 21. I visited a spiritualist who I had heard was very good. Some of the stuff she said was fairly general that could be applicable to anyone. But there was something which she told me which up till then had been impacting on my life, but I couldn't make sense of in my own mind, let alone have the words to articulate the problem I was experiencing to anyone. She described the maladaptive way of coping with life's difficulties, which I developed as a youngster, rather than dealing with them head on. She advised me to speak to someone, otherwise it would continue to cast a shadow over the way I lived. Which I did several years down the line, by the way.

That couldn't have been a coincidence.

Anyway, make of that what you will. It doesn't mean that there is an afterlife, but there is something more to the world than what we see. 

1 hour ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Brace yourself for deeply entrenched viewpoints of people on both sides of this. At the end of the the day, no living person knows the answer...we will all find out for sure when the time comes.

Only if there is an afterlife- then you will continue in some form and be capable of knowing.

If there is no afterlife, there is no you and so no possibility of knowing anything.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I’m not religious, so no I don’t believe in life after death.  All I want when the time comes is a peaceful death.  

My mate is religious,  he's Muslim.  When we chatted I brought it up as he knew the person too. He believes there is an afterlife. I'll be honest I liked what he had to say. Not about the religion part but more the way he described an afterlife. I even told him that I wished I had his viewpoint. It certainly seems nice than the alternative. 

17 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Only if there is an afterlife- then you will continue in some form and be capable of knowing.

If there is no afterlife, there is no you and so no possibility of knowing anything.

True I suppose.  However there are plenty of stories of people who believe they've had past lives. Some describe stuff in real detail too. Could all be bobbins though.

1 hour ago, Padders said:

When I die, I plan to be that Spirit who mediums contact,

Then I can really mess with them :hihi:

You're not allowed to die Padders.  If you are no longer at the helm of Padders Bar then the whole fabric of society could collapse.  No, we have to keep you alive.

I'll start looking into the science of it right away.

Edit. Right, I've looked into it. I asked Google "How do I keep somone alive?"

Google replied "With a covid booster of course".

Before I could object the Google lady booked you in for a jab next week.  I'll send you the details.

Sorry fella, I really really am.

Edited by The_DADDY
  • Haha 1