Life After Death

On 21/09/2022 at 14:11, Dromedary said:

But many have tried to explain how the psychics and mediums operate already by cold reading and trickery with many other things coming into play so I really don't need to explain further. It's simple... you were fooled, and probably out of pocket as well or was it all done for free?

No, you have explained how the charlatans operate without any reference to the possibility that not all psychics and mediums are such. 

I would no more class the fairground fortune teller at the end of the pier with genuine mediums and psychics, than I would put surgeons in the same catagory as vets and butchers. 

There are undoubtedly hundreds and thousands of occurrences and events, all around the world, that have been scientifically investigated and acknowledged as outside our current understanding and knowledge, and even with future discoveries maybe never will be explained. To dismiss them all as the product of fevered imagination and foolish wishful thinking is both arrogant and insulting.

Explain why the Police, a pretty hard nosed and pragmatic bunch, sometimes approach psychics for assistance. 

How water divining works, and why it's still used in the water related industries to find leaks etc?

Why the military (most notably Hitler) sometimes resort to esoteric means to guide their operations? 

Geographical Lay Lines, psychometry, telepathy, strange energy sources, co occurrences, and a whole range of similarly unfathonable things that cannot be explained... The more we investigate the more we uncover yet more mysteries.

And why do millions of healthy, mentally sharp people, including scientists, politicians, clergy, the great and the good, believe in a God and willingly allow him to guide their lives. 

The world is a seriously strange place.

.....'There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in our philosophy' 

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

No, you have explained how the charlatans operate without any reference to the possibility that not all psychics and mediums are such. 

I would no more class the fairground fortune teller at the end of the pier with genuine mediums and psychics, than I would put surgeons in the same catagory as vets and butchers. 

There are undoubtedly hundreds and thousands of occurrences and events, all around the world, that have been scientifically investigated and acknowledged as outside our current understanding and knowledge, and even with future discoveries maybe never will be explained. To dismiss them all as the product of fevered imagination and foolish wishful thinking is both arrogant and insulting.

No it's not as unless you can prove that they are in fact real and true they must be a product of the imagination, just as much as the afterlife and ghosts are. I must admit I was nearly taken in by that statue in India that was crying milk! :hihi:

Explain why the Police, a pretty hard nosed and pragmatic bunch, sometimes approach psychics for assistance. 

How water divining works, and why it's still used in the water related industries to find leaks etc?

Why the military (most notably Hitler) sometimes resort to esoteric means to guide their operations? 

Geographical Lay Lines, psychometry, telepathy, strange energy sources, co occurrences, and a whole range of similarly unfathonable things that cannot be explained... The more we investigate the more we uncover yet more mysteries.

Oh dear I seem to have rattled a cage.... Don't forget to put that tinfoil hat on again after writing that and make sure you take the medication as well.

And why do millions of healthy, mentally sharp people, including scientists, politicians, clergy, the great and the good, believe in a God and willingly allow him to guide their lives. 

Because some are brainwashed at a very young age to believe in a religion and still wish to believe especially the old and vulnerable. As for guiding their lives, really?

.....'There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in our philosophy' 

"Give me a child until he is seven and I will give you the man" A Jesuit motto meaning the best opportunity to indoctrinate a person in a lifetime of belief and devotion to religious dogma is when they are young. That is why most religions do it!

Edited by Dromedary

40 minutes ago, Anna B said:

The only difference is the size of the audience and the amount of ££££ they can extract from their marks. 

We used to believe that epilepsy and schizophrenia were caused by demons and we attempted to extract those demons by drilling holes in the afflicteds' skulls.  Then science marched on and we discovered the complexities of neuroanatomy and neurochemistry.  There are indeed mysteries galore to explore, lots of them right there between our ears, and they're currently being explored and reported on in the pages of scientific journals.  The tools and techniques used in the reports in those those journals were vastly different even just twenty years ago to what are used today and the knowledge that's been acquired since then fills volumes.  What makes you think that that progress is going to stop?   Though I must admit that it's only Dr Venkman and chums who're currently working on psychic slime and haunted portraits.

They don't.  Though of course if a 'psychic' turns up and claims to have knowledge of the whereabouts of a murder victim the police have to give the claim some attention, and I'm sure you can imagine why.

Ideomotor effect with results no better than what you'd expect by chance.

Because he was ****ing insane?  And powerful delusional oddballs are often indulged.  I'm sure you must have read The Men Who Stare at Goats.

Are you going to just list them or are you going to provide some reputable evidence to support your claims that these things exist as they're claimed to exist?

Because being a scientist, politician or whatnot does not preclude the fact that some of them are nutballs.  Have you met any theoretical physicists?  Bonkers, most of them. 

5 minutes ago, Hecate said:

The only difference is the size of the audience and the amount of ££££ they can extract from their marks. 

We used to believe that epilepsy and schizophrenia were caused by demons and we attempted to extract those demons by drilling holes in the afflicteds' skulls.  Then science marched on and we discovered the complexities of neuroanatomy and neurochemistry.  There are indeed mysteries galore to explore, lots of them right there between our ears, and they're currently being explored and reported on in the pages of scientific journals.  The tools and techniques used in the reports in those those journals were vastly different even just twenty years ago to what are used today and the knowledge that's been acquired since then fills volumes.  What makes you think that that progress is going to stop?   Though I must admit that it's only Dr Venkman and chums who're currently working on psychic slime and haunted portraits.

<snip , a load of scientific Mumbo jumbo>

There isn’t enough ectoplasm in this post

17 minutes ago, sibon said:

There isn’t enough ectoplasm in this post

Discredited.  Psychics manifest orbs now.  Some might say they're full of orbs, in fact.

48 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

No it's not as unless you can prove that they are in fact real and true they must be a product of the imagination, just as much as the afterlife and ghosts are. I must admit I was nearly taken in by that statue in India that was crying milk! :hihi:

Oh dear I seem to have rattled a cage.... Don't forget to put that tinfoil hat on again after writing that and make sure you take the medication as well.

Because some are brainwashed at a very young age to believe in a religion and still wish to believe especially the old and vulnerable. As for guiding their lives, really?

"Give me a child until he is seven and I will give you the man" A Jesuit motto meaning the best opportunity to indoctrinate a person in a lifetime of belief and devotion to religious dogma is when they are young. That is why most religions do it!

Not at all. you have your opinions, and I have mine. Where we differ most is that I don't claim to be right. I really don't know, nobody does, but at least I'm open to the possibilities.

You on the other hand KNOW you are right, and are determined that nothing can make you change your mind. I find that a bit sad.

Incidently, I've never been indoctrinated, never attended  church  as a child, and rarely attend church now. In fact I actively avoid church (especially 'High church') for the reasons you state. I believe it's between me and God and needs no intermediary. So hardly brainwashed.  But I do have a healthy curiosity, like to research things, and have formed my ideas by myself over many years of thought and pondering.

And I am still very much a work in progress. 

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 1

Well, when I started this thread I didn't really think it would end up like this. I should have known really. To be honest I started it for selfish reasons, I won't go into them but after a few great/intresting posts the rot set in and that's a shame.

Anyhow, tomorrow is the day of the funeral so I hope my friend finds the peace in death that they couldn't find in life.

10 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Not at all. you have your opinions, and I have mine. Where we differ most is that I don't claim to be right. I really don't know, but at least I'm open to the possibilities.

You on the other hand KNOW you are right, and are determined that nothing can make you change your mind. I find that a bit sad.

I am also open to possibilities as well but so far the evidence suggests that although it may be possible there is an afterlife or indeed ghosts the evidence suggests that it is not very probable. 

Incidently, I've never been indoctrinated, never attended  church  as a child, and rarely attend church now. In fact I actively avoid church for the reasons you state. So hardly brainwashed.

I didn't say you were brainwashed I said it was because some were brainwashed at an early age. 

I believe my beliefs are between me and God and need no intermediary.  But I do have a healthy curiosity, like to research things, and have formed my ideas by myself.

How did you come to learn about God then?

21 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Not at all. you have your opinions, and I have mine. Where we differ most is that I don't claim to be right. I really don't know, nobody does, but at least I'm open to the possibilities.

Incidently, I've never been indoctrinated, never attended  church  as a child, and rarely attend church now. In fact I actively avoid church (especially 'High church') for the reasons you state. I believe it's between me and God and needs no intermediary. So hardly brainwashed.  But I do have a healthy curiosity, like to research things, and have formed my ideas by myself over many years of thought and pondering.

Hmmm... :huh:

It's interesting then that we seem to 'need' psychics to act as intermediaries... :suspect:

4 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Well, when I started this thread I didn't really think it would end up like this. I should have known really. To be honest I started it for selfish reasons, I won't go into them but after a few great/intresting posts the rot set in and that's a shame.

Anyhow, tomorrow is the day of the funeral so I hope my friend finds the peace in death that they couldn't find in life.

I’d forgotten how this thread started. 

Looking back, it is a shame that it has ended up like this.

I hope the funeral goes ok. I don’t believe in life after death, so I hope that your friend’s loved ones find some peace and closure via the funeral. That’s the point of them, as far as I’m concerned.

As for your friend, it just makes me terribly sad that people end up in such a way.