The Funeral of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth ll

I know there is the Royal Family thread, but l just thought that our Queen of 70+ years deserved a thread of her own to mark her long reign, life and death.

If there's one thing this country does well, it's pageantry. And the Queen's funeral has had it in spades. Its  magnificent. I'm no monarchist but l think on this occasion she deserves it after a life spent in service to her people. 

This televised occasion will be going round the world, and is a credit to all those involved in organising it. It's  impressive. And a perfect example of the 'soft power' we've heard much of in the last few days.

Thankyou your Majesty, a reassuring symbol of Constancy in a fast changing world.

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I know there is the Royal Family thread, but l just thought the our Queen of 70+ years deserved a thread of her own to mark her long reign, life and death.

If there's one thing this country does well, it's pageantry. And the Queen's funeral has had it in spades. Its  magnificent. I'm no monarchist but l think on this occasion she deserves it after a life spent in service to her people. 

This televised occasion will be going round the world, and is a credit to all those involved in organising it. It's  impressive. And a perfect example of the 'soft power' we've heard much of in the last few days.

Yeah it was truly incredible 

I think it would be safe to say that they have been planning this event for a good few years now

But wow......it would be difficult not to be proud to be British today

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Yeah it was truly incredible 

I think it would be safe to say that they have been planning this event for a good few years now

But wow......it would be difficult not to be proud to be British today

Probably some of those planners kicked the bucket years ago- Queen no doubt outlived them.

1 minute ago, The_DADDY said:

I hate to be a party pooper but all I see is a colossal amount of money spent for someone who has died when there are people who are still alive and in dire need. 

Yes, you certainly have a point. I'm sure we'll come back to it later.

But seeing the number of very important leaders from around the world all united under the same roof I can't help but hope some good will come of it. Remember it will also be something of a non-political social occasion too.

• Like 3

Those coffin bearers have been with her most of the week I noticed. The same ones took her from Buck Palace to Westminster Hall on Wednesday. They're all only young lads yet they have done an amazing job under what must have been a great amount of pressure. Well done lads, duty done, go for a well deserved pint or three. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I know there is the Royal Family thread, but l just thought the our Queen of 70+ years deserved a thread of her own to mark her long reign, life and death.

Thankyou your Majesty, a reassuring symbol of Constancy in a fast changing world.

Only a Monarchist would love all the pomp and pageantry.

After all events like this where millions of pounds of public money is spent and wasted is usually only done for Royalty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, alandrea0 said:

Only a Monarchist would love all the pomp and pageantry.

After all events like this where millions of pounds of public money is spent and wasted is usually only done for Royalty.

I wonder how much will eventually be made from the coverage, every nation on Earth will want a part of this.

• Like 2

You might think that alandrea0 but I warmed to the Queen when I learned she serves herself breakfast out of a tupperware box on the table..... ☺️

I've also been impressed by many of the commentaries on TV  about her, and her 'soft power,' (maybe biased or exaggerated but who knows?)  But the number of leaders who are attending with nothing but good things to say about her leads me to believe it is a real thing that is an important factor. The monarchy may be expensive, but under her it was a force for good, so I celebrate the woman rather than the institution.

Charles has yet to prove himself, but let's give the Queen credit where it's due, and reassess the situation later.

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1