The Funeral of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth ll

Guest makapaka
4 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Can you please  tell us the bad impact these last few days have had on your life ? Maybe then we could understand your griping 

They haven’t had a big impact on my life.

lost a days pay but won’t bankrupt me.

8 hours ago, echo beach said:

If I have one regret, it's that an opportunity was missed by not transporting the Queen's coffin from Edinburgh to London by steam train.  What a sight that would have been and it would have given so many more folks up North a chance to pay their respects.

I mean, I dont disagree, but the British public proved when the Flying Scotsman made its trip up (or down?) the ECML that they cant be trusted, there were numerous trespass incidents on a live electrified line. 

Now if this happened for a train, imagine how many there would have been for the Queen on a train, and add in how many police this would have needed. And I havent even mentioned the disruption to other rail traffic yet.

Edited by HeHasRisen

8 hours ago, echo beach said:

If I have one regret, it's that an opportunity was missed by not transporting the Queen's coffin from Edinburgh to London by steam train.  What a sight that would have been and it would have given so many more folks up North a chance to pay their respects.

Or indeed any type of locomotive. It did strike me a strange that the body was flown down, if it'd been down by train (or car) hundreds of thousands more people from the North and Midlands would have been able to see it.

I suspect they did not want it to come down by train due the modern obsession with ensuring nobody encroaches on the  tracks. Rather different from Churchill's funeral train :

Train.jpg

23 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Yes I cant imagine why they didnt want millions of people trying to access a live, now fully electrified, railway. An absolute puzzler that one. 

Fair point but the M25 was shut down for the occasion so I presume we could have shut down the electricity that a steam loco didn’t need. Even better if we could live in an age where personal responsibility was still a thing and we didn’t need a bloke in a hi viz to ensure our survival.

4 minutes ago, Jim117 said:

Fair point but the M25 was shut down for the occasion so I presume we could have shut down the electricity that a steam loco didn’t need. Even better if we could live in an age where personal responsibility was still a thing and we didn’t need a bloke in a hi viz to ensure our survival.

Was it?  When? The whole motorway for a entire day, or a small stretch for an hour or less?

I will admit I nipped out yesterday between the two services, the hearse wasnt scheduled to go on the M25 by what I saw, is that when it was shut?

As for "turning the electric off", so your plan would have been to shut an important 393 mile railway off from all passenger traffic for a good 10 hours or so?  I can easy see why they decided it was much easier to fly her down. 

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 hour ago, Jim117 said:

Yes indeed. I don't know when or why this sort of personal responsibility stopped being a thing. 

Edited by Anna B