The Funeral of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth ll

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Was it?  When? The whole motorway for a entire day, or a small stretch for an hour or less?

I will admit I nipped out yesterday between the two services, the hearse wasnt scheduled to go on the M25 by what I saw, is that when it was shut?

As for "turning the electric off", so your plan would have been to shut an important 393 mile railway off from all passenger traffic for a good 10 hours or so?  I can easy see why they decided it was much easier to fly her down. 

From what I saw all the roads leading to or adjacent to the procession were closed including the M25 or a section of it. However the point is moot now as the events of yesterday are now history. I just happen to agree with Echo that it would have been an awesome sight to see a steam loco involved in the occasion.

4 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Yes indeed. I don't know when or why this sort of personal responsibility stopped being a thing. 

Agreed 👍

6 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Yes indeed. I don't know when or why this sort of personal responsibility stopped being a thing. 

Probably when litigation culture started.

Sure I saw a case a few years ago where the family of someone who broke into a electric substation (and killed himself doing so) were planning to sue the owners of the substation over it. Its things like that which stop nice events like the train slowly going down the ECML.

Guest makapaka
9 hours ago, hackey lad said:

What are you moaning about then ?

I have an opinion on lots of things that don’t have a significant impact on my personal life. So do most people.

8 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Probably when litigation culture started.

Sure I saw a case a few years ago where the family of someone who broke into a electric substation (and killed himself doing so) were planning to sue the owners of the substation over it. Its things like that which stop nice events like the train slowly going down the ECML.

I think you might be right. And of course all this Ambulance chasing is all about lawyers (and clients) making money, not what's right and just. 

Edited by Anna B

23 hours ago, Anna B said:

The choral singing was sublime, especially the boy choristers who showed no sign of nerves in spite of singing solo from time to time. In front of an audience of millions that takes some courage.  

Just out of interest do choristers include choirgirls these days, or do they have to be all male?

Most churches that have choirs now have female members

• SFBeca changed the title to The Funeral of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth ll

I always envisaged the train progressing at a moderate speed and going very slowly through stations like Newcastle, Durham, York, Doncaster, Newark and Grantham et al.

I haven't witnessed any irresponsible behaviour from the crowds in London so surely people lining the route would have acted similarly in a respectful way. It would have also relieved the pressure on the capital to a certain extent with folks having seen the coffin closer to home perhaps deciding not to travel south.

Another option would have been to drive the cortege down the Great North Road. They managed it in Scotland and from central London to Windsor without much trouble.

But no; expediency was the key. By flying HM in a cargo plane and thus bypassing the North and Midlands, London and the South-East region had an extra day for the lying-in state, illustrating that the UK will always be London centric. 

echo

Just now, echo beach said:

I always envisaged the train progressing at a moderate speed and going very slowly through stations like Newcastle, Durham, York, Doncaster, Newark and Grantham et al.

I haven't witnessed any irresponsible behaviour from the crowds in London so surely people lining the route would have acted similarly in a respectful way. It would have also relieved the pressure on the capital to a certain extent with folks having seen the coffin closer to home perhaps deciding not to travel south.

Another option would have been to drive the cortege down the Great North Road. They managed it in Scotland and from central London to Windsor without much trouble.

But no; expediency was the key. By flying HM in a cargo plane and thus bypassing the North and Midlands, London and the South-East region had an extra day for the lying-in state, illustrating that the UK will always be London centric. 

echo

They couldve closed the M1 and let every queue up on the hard shoulder from London to Leeds and then just wheeled her past on a trolley 

23 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

I thought the whooping and cheering when the hearse arrived in London a little odd.

She was home. I think that was all. 

The crowds were amazingly respectful. The stillness and quiet was very moving. You could hear a pin drop.

46 minutes ago, echo beach said:

echo

They also didnt take her body to Wales, Northern Ireland, East Anglia, the South West, the South coast, or the West Midlands.

Did you want her taken on a macabre tour around the UK? Christ, people are never happy are they.

Edited by HeHasRisen