Putin Threatens The West

2 minutes ago, trastrick said:

One and the same!

This one:

"Elon Musk says SpaceX restricted internet in Ukraine to prevent escalation ‘that may lead to WW3’

‘We’re trying hard to do the right thing,’ says billionaire"  -  Politico

He may be on dodgy ground there - A private company restricting communications in another country?

21 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

He may be on dodgy ground there - A private company restricting communications in another country?

Well, it’s his gear: I suppose that he can take back with one hand, what he gives with the other, for <reasons>

I mean, it’s not as if the guy paid $44bn for a company 6 months ago, which is valued at $20bn today after spending that long under his ‘management’…right? 😉😏

2 minutes ago, L00b said:

Well, it’s his gear: I suppose that he can take back with one hand, what he gives with the other, for <reasons>

I mean, it’s not as if the guy paid $44bn for a company 6 months ago, which is valued at $20bn today after spending that long under his ‘management’…right? 😉😏

So, a Musk company provided the infrastructure for Ukraine's internet? Sorry if I've lost the plot - it is a genuine question?

2 hours ago, trastrick said:

You were comparing  your perceived, diagnosis of my mentall issues and recommending dosage of a specific drug to combat same, with your self diagnosis as "well adjusted".  :)

If I need a "reality check", I'll be sure to make an appointment with you. Doctor.........what is it. again?  :)

Speaking of Reality Checks, and "what's predominant around here"

Here's an adult, Elon Musk, talking to a woke, and grossly misinformed and unprepared BBC hack!

That's absolutely beautiful!!

What an arrogant twohat that BBC bloke is.

Brilliant.

😂😂

10 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I've watched it a few times now.

It gets funnier every time 😁

And predictability the only ones who are not laughing are the Guardian. 

Their pain at musk's roast of the bbc is so transparent

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/apr/12/bbc-elon-musk-sense-of-humour-twitter

😂😂😂

Just for good measure they have this disgraceful body shaming line....

"As interviews with CEOs go, these comments count as immensely revealing, although for me the real takeaway has been that you can be the second richest man in the world and still struggle to find dental veneers that fit"

Body shaming is ok if it's a man hey?

What a disgraceful mob of sexists.

Edited by Al Bundy

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

So, a Musk company provided the infrastructure for Ukraine's internet? Sorry if I've lost the plot - it is a genuine question?

Starlink is not Ukraine's internet infrastructure, it's portable satcom that stands in as a ready-replacement for destroyed cellular network infrastructure.

Musk donated a ton of Starlink gear to Ukraine, so that their military could still communicate and use commercial drones in combat zones in which Russia has destroyed 3G/4G network infrastructure. Heavily encrypted right out of the box, and as yet still unbreakable by Russia.

It's been reported that Musk then throttled his Starlink gear in Ukraine to "stop WW3". That was the thicko-grade two-words slogan for Starlink geofencing the range of its gear to the Ukrainian border (so that the Ukrainian military cannot use it to control drones into/over Russian territory).

All the same...doesn't make Musk any less of a 'warmonger' and 'armchair general' in trastrick's worldview: you know those thousands of videos of Ukrainian drones dropping munitions onto Russian vehicles and troops over the past year? Wouldn't have been possible  without that Starlink kit.

Thanks, Elon. All is not forgotten nor forgiven, far from it. But thanks where thanks are due.

Edited by L00b
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, L00b said:

Starlink is not Ukraine's internet infrastructure, it's portable satcom  that stands in for [destroyed] cellular network infrastructure.

Musk donated a ton of Starlink gear to Ukraine, so that their military can still use commercial drones in combat zones in which Russia has destroyed 3G/4G network infrastructure.

It's been reported that Musk then throttled his Starlink gear in Ukraine to "stop WW3". That was the thicko-grade two-words slogan for Starlink geofencing the range of its gear to the Ukrainian border (so that the Ukrainian military cannot use it to control drones into/over Russian territory).

All the same...doesn't make Musk any less of a 'warmonger' and 'armchair general' in trastrick's worldview: you know those thousands of videos of Ukrainian drones dropping munitions onto Russian vehicles and troops over the past year? Wouldn't have been possible  without that Starlink kit.

Fair enough. I don't follow a lot of this stuff, but thanks for the clear explanation, @L00b. 👍

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Fair enough. I don't follow a lot of this stuff, but thanks for the clear explanation, @L00b. 👍

If you are interested in the Musk position on his provision of free internet to the Ukraine, here's a short, but reasonably unbiased take, on the subject.

Unlike the massive conglomerate, of Western  Arms Dealers, he's not making money from the deal,.

Politico

Elon Musk says SpaceX restricted internet in Ukraine to prevent escalation ‘that may lead to WW3’

https://www.politico.eu/article/spacex-restricted-internet-ukraine-prevent-escalation-elon-musk-russia-starlink-ww3-gwynne-shotwell-drones-infrastructure/

Edited by trastrick