Putin Threatens The West

Just to note that there have been several reports for posts in this thread, that haven't been moderated.

There's no rules broken by people discussing their opinions, as long as they do it in line with the guidelines/terms.

As for "Does Sheffield forum really want to be seen supporting the Russian war and spreading Russian propaganda?" as a report - nothing posted on the forum is the views of Sheffield Forum, it is the views of the individual posting, and you have every right to counter that argument. This website is neutral and certainly NOT supportive of any conflicts/wars and doesn't spread any propaganda. 🙄

Feel free to report if the posts break the guidelines/terms, or if something is illegal, but otherwise it is up to you to counter any points and discuss the opposing view - reports aren't there to ask for something to be moderated because you don't agree with it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I wonder how much of this apparent admiration / critique of much of the West's response to Putin war in Ukraine has to do with Nigel Farage's intervention?

How has Farage intervened  ?

6 hours ago, trastrick said:

It is wise to take manifestos of one's adversaries seriously.

From "Marx Das Kapital",  through "Hitler's Mein Kampf" to  Mao's "Great Leap Forward" to Bin Laden's "Declaration of Jihad", to Joseph Biden's, declaration to the Russian People, and to the World, "For God's Sake, this man (Putin) cannot remain in Power!", to Putin's "Essay", you can glean valuable insight, on the motivations of the authors and how they seek to implement their political goals.

It is not enough to just dismiss them as propaganda, put your faith in some God, and hope he/she/they is with you. Especially when in the world at large you are a distinct minority among billions of people who do not share your God, or your New Rules Based Liberal World Order, or even share your politically constructed "human rights" or the "rights" of sovereign states.

It is an opportunity to develop effective military and diplomatic strategies to contain, defeat, or diplomatically co-exist with your adversary.

In this world, one thing is clear. Might makes Right!"

This is as true today  it was in the days of the Greeks and Romans, the Arabian, Mongol, and Colonial Empires, and more recently when JFK declared that Cuba (and presumably Canada, and Mexico) would not be allowed to join a military Pact dedicated to the overthrow of the U.S, regardless of their "sovereign rights as a free nation".

You don't have to be a "Putin Puppet" to understand where we are at this moment in history, with the world once again hurtling towards World War, which at some point soon, will reach the point of no return.

The good news?

Democracy!

With it's new elections, bringing new leaders, with new thinking, and new policies.

It's also the only remain hope!

All those words and you never said anything, such a waste of words

19 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Say what you will about Farage but he's not wrong on this. 

America/NATO started this. Thankfully more people are beginning to realise that fact. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, melthebell said:

All those words and you never said anything, such a waste of words

Just ignore it.

It's only a minority opinion on the Russian threat.

It's not required reading!  😀

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, SheffieldForum said:

Just to note that there have been several reports for posts in this thread, that haven't been moderated.

There's no rules broken by people discussing their opinions, as long as they do it in line with the guidelines/terms.

As for "Does Sheffield forum really want to be seen supporting the Russian war and spreading Russian propaganda?" as a report - nothing posted on the forum is the views of Sheffield Forum, it is the views of the individual posting, and you have every right to counter that argument. This website is neutral and certainly NOT supportive of any conflicts/wars and doesn't spread any propaganda. 🙄

Feel free to report if the posts break the guidelines/terms, or if something is illegal, but otherwise it is up to you to counter any points and discuss the opposing view - reports aren't there to ask for something to be moderated because you don't agree with it.

I suspect the reports may have something to do with my posts. I should make it clear, that I am a staunch believer in Democracy.

It is, and always has been, under attack by Fascists, Communists, Radical Religious Fundamentalists and Oriental Emperors but it has managed to survive in the face of great odds, under great leaders  like Winston Churchill,  John F. Kennedy and others who stood up to the Dictators, Oligarchs, drew lines in the sand, and rallied their populations to take action, when Democracy was threatened.

One of the underpinnings of Democracy, which separates it from other political systems of government is Free Speech.

The ability to question their governments, and to bring them to account every 4 years, or so., without fear of reprisal or censorship for their views.

Great founders of Democracy were aware that the only recourse against charlatans (Putin is just one of many) who would come to power, then use that power to silence or persecute their critics, is a Free and unbiased Press, including more recently the other main sources from which the citizens get their information.

Unfortunately Media has become so partisan, that Gallup's Poll Question:

"When it comes to reporting the news fully, accurately and fairly -- a great deal, a fair amount, not very much or none at all?

Respondent answered, in 2023:

Great deal/Fair amount:  32%   (down from 70% in 1975)

None at all: 39%   (up from 5% in 1975)

The first responsibility of any elected Democratic government is the safety of its population. Also to respect the reality that they are "public servants", who only serve at the pleasure of the populace. Not their masters.

With the world "closer to WW3 since the Cuban Missile Crisis" I think that governments need to be reminded in the public forums, and at election time, what their roles, really are!

I will continue to post respectful, non profane, opinions on the most serious topics facing the World, as long as the moderators here allow!

I did not start the Trump, Biden, Putin threads. I merely joined them with my opinions

Peace!

• Like 5