Putin Threatens The West

4 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Soldiers carry out the orders of their officers who carry out the orders of the politicians.

I get that but 'I was only following orders' isn't a valid excuse or are we saying it is a valid excuse because they are ours? 

To be clear, our politicians who sent them should be arrested for war crimes but they won't be. Sadly the world just isn't like that. I'm just making the point that when we engage in a war that's considered illegal there's hardly a murmur but because it's our long standing enemy Russia engaging in what some consider illegal then it's suddenly a bad thing.

A bit like when we supply the Saudis with arms to commit war crimes in Yemen. Hardly a murmur. 

Do you not find that hypocritical?

10 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I get that but 'I was only following orders' isn't a valid excuse or are we saying it is a valid excuse because they are ours? 

To be clear, our politicians who sent them should be arrested for war crimes but they won't be. Sadly the world just isn't like that. I'm just making the point that when we engage in a war that's considered illegal there's hardly a murmur but because it's our long standing enemy Russia engaging in what some consider illegal then it's suddenly a bad thing.

A bit like when we supply the Saudis with arms to commit war crimes in Yemen. Hardly a murmur. 

I’ll tell you what I find hypocritical: defending Russian soldiers’ current exactions, worthy of SS einsatzgruppen and generalised to every Ukrainian battlefield that they have been on in the last 8 months, by drawing a parallel with Coalition soldiers’ soldiering under western Rules of Engagement in Iraq and the ‘Stan a decade or two ago.

That’s exactly what you and some of your fellow posters are doing, with your strawmen, false equivalences and assorted other ‘balance’ posts.

Edited by L00b
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, L00b said:

I’ll tell you what I find hypocritical: defending Russian soldiers’ current exactions, worthy of SS einsatzgruppen and generalised to every Ukrainian battlefield that they have been on in the last 8 months, by drawing a parallel with Coalition soldiers’ soldiering under western Rules of Engagement in Iraq and the ‘Stan a decade or two ago.

Western rules 🙄🤣

1 minute ago, The_DADDY said:

Western rules 🙄🤣

How many mass graves of civilians raped, tortured, executed by Coalition soldiers were found in Iraq? In Afghanistan?

How many Iraqi or Afghani washing machines did squaddies bring back to Blighty?

🙄😏

5 minutes ago, L00b said:

How many mass graves of civilians raped, tortured, executed by Coalition soldiers were found in Iraq? In Afghanistan?

How many Iraqi or Afghani washing machines did squaddies bring back to Blighty?

🙄😏

Try and muddy the waters all you like.  Makes no difference. 

Western forces = Virtuous and Cool

Russian forces = The spawn of Satan.

The west illegally invades a county = Nothing to see here.

You don't see a problem there? 

38 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

When enlisting a soldier takes an oath which in effect determines that he obeys the orders of those over him/her.

Unless the individual commits "war crimes" under the Geneva Convention they are acting legally because they have been empowered to do so by those they swore allegiance to.  

The politicians and their legal advisors are the ones to ensure the "war " is legal. 

In N' Ireland the rules of law applied as no war was declared therefore the Geneva Convention did not apply.

What I do find is that WE know only a tiny bit of the reasons for what is happening and propaganda by all sides is a powerful weapon.

Just a point of interest.

If a soldier is given an order which he strongly disagrees with the procedure is to carry out the order and then submit a redress of grievance.

Edited by harvey19
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Try and muddy the waters all you like.  Makes no difference. 

Western forces = Virtuous and Cool

Russian forces = The spawn of Satan.

The west illegally invades a county = Nothing to see here.

You don't see a problem there? 

Explain how I’m “muddying the waters”.

You can’t.

Nothing of what you’ve posted in this thread stands up to the barest of scrutiny.

• Like 1