Putin Threatens The West

12 minutes ago, altus said:

And what exactly do you think Putin would do in the future if, to end this war, the Ukrainians gave up land as you propose?

That would purely depend on the terms of any settlement! He certainly doesn't want NATO missiles and military bases on his doorstep. (Neither does his adversary, the U.S. want Russian missiles and military bases on theirs (see Cuba).

But the major long term question is how the West chooses to deal with it's strengthening geopolitical adversaries, Totalitarian Russia, Communist China, militant Islamists of the Middle East, and various others that have no love for the colonial elitists who have demonstrated that they never respect sovereignty, and attempt to decide foreign countries futures by failed "regime change" policies, by force, if neccessary. That horse has long left the barn!  :)

Co-existence or war?

I make the argument that co-existence, with it's trade deals, cultural exchanges, twinning of cities, open investment opportunities, like Trump hotels in Moscow, golf courses in North Korea, Russian owned mansions is Sussex, Russian owned football teams in the U.K. does more to keep the peace, than the constant threats, isolation and demonizing that characterizes Western politics today.

34 minutes ago, trastrick said:

That would purely depend on the terms of any settlement! He certainly doesn't want NATO missiles and military bases on his doorstep. (Neither does his adversary, the U.S. want Russian missiles and military bases on theirs (see Cuba).

But the major long term question is how the West chooses to deal with it's strengthening geopolitical adversaries, Totalitarian Russia, Communist China, militant Islamists of the Middle East, and various others that have no love for the colonial elitists who have demonstrated that they never respect sovereignty, and attempt to decide foreign countries futures by failed "regime change" policies, by force, if neccessary. That horse has long left the barn!  :)

Co-existence or war?

I make the argument that co-existence, with it's trade deals, cultural exchanges, twinning of cities, open investment opportunities, like Trump hotels in Moscow, golf courses in North Korea, Russian owned mansions is Sussex, Russian owned football teams in the U.K. does more to keep the peace, than the constant threats, isolation and demonizing that characterizes Western politics today.

Sheffield is twinned with Donetsk  supposably  now part of Russia ,.

2 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Sheffield is twinned with Donetsk  supposably  now part of Russia ,.

There's some 50 U.S. cities twinned with their Russian counterparts.

Now if only we coulld get rid of the politicians, we could all get together and have a right "knees up".

Edited by trastrick

18 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

When did that happen . the scrapping of our twinning that is .

Many years ago. I forget exactly when but it must have been in the 90s. I was in S.I.L.C. (Sheffield international linking commitee) and I was the last person to represent Sheffield in Donetsk. If you go into the town hall there is a coal sculpture that I brought back from the Mayor of Donetsk.

Edited by Kidorry
Altered text

On 24/11/2022 at 16:29, trastrick said:

Co-existence or war?

That is exactly the policy the west had to Russia after the collapse of communism - bring them into the international community by trading with them. It didn't deter Putin from taking Crimea, providing military equipment and personnel to the separatists in the east or from invading the whole of Ukraine when he thought he could get away with it.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, altus said:

That is exactly the policy the west had to Russia after the collapse of communism - bring them into the international community by trading with them. It didn't deter Putin from taking Crimea, providing military equipment and personnel to the separatists in the east or from invading the whole of Ukraine when he thought he could get away with it.

These regions of what was The Soviet Union  need to show the free world how much they are prepared to throw at this evil dictator and his bully boys. They shouldn’t expect others to bail them out of a system that many of them helped to perpetuate.

13 hours ago, altus said:

Take the trouble to find out why that friendly atmosphere disappeared. It's not all one sided.

Th West keeps encroaching to the East after promising not to.

Also ask yourself why our stupid politicians have turned a blind eye to things for years, until he decided that, we are so desperate to avoid a war that he can do as he pleases.

Ask also why we have been running our armed forces down when we know what is happening and also with China.