Altruism For Billionaires

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltaire

Do the rich still do philanthropic things?

Didn't Roundtree also build a village?

I know Bill Gates has a charitable foundation, as do other multimillionaires. But I/we don't see the results of these billionaires donations.

I would love to be rich and help society. Is that what the rich used to do, or did Titus Salt build Saltaire to enlarge his empire and we are just looking back in rose tinted glasses?

Re: Titus Salt. Providing good accommodation and facilities for employees = happy, healthy, loyal, motivated employees = good for business. Whilst good, I'm not sure that counts as philanthropic.

A few still do but they don't tend to be things that could be memorials to themselves like building public libraries named after them.

An example from just last week: Patagonia’s billionaire owner gives away company to fight climate crisis

28 minutes ago, El Cid said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltaire

Do the rich still do philanthropic things?

Didn't Roundtree also build a village?

I know Bill Gates has a charitable foundation, as do other multimillionaires. But I/we don't see the results of these billionaires donations.

I would love to be rich and help society. Is that what the rich used to do, or did Titus Salt build Saltaire to enlarge his empire and we are just looking back in rose tinted glasses?

I think the Bill Gates Foundation does a lot of work in Third World countries.

However, I was listening to the radio a while back and a lady was talking about this organisation:

Patriotic Millionaires UK

Which is a British version of an American organisation:

About Us – Patriotic Millionaires

Julian Richer, of Richer Sounds, may not be a billionaire, but he is a multi millionaire who is philanthropic.  Sounds like a good place to work, perhaps one of the Sheffield employees might comment if they see this thread.

https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2020/5-june/features/features/for-julian-richer-poorer-is-better

3 hours ago, Ms Macbeth said:

Julian Richer, of Richer Sounds, may not be a billionaire, but he is a multi millionaire who is philanthropic.  Sounds like a good place to work, perhaps one of the Sheffield employees might comment if they see this thread.

https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2020/5-june/features/features/for-julian-richer-poorer-is-better

Hmmm... :huh:

Thanks for that... it's a very interesting read!

But I suspect that many will be 'put-off' as soon as they see the 'C' word. (That's 'Church' before anyone bashes their keyboard in frustration)

The problem is, people these days want everything now, and wrongly assume that anyone who has made a success of their life has been lucky and has had it handed to them on a plate!

They'll see the reference to the fact that he went to boarding school and immediately jump up and down shouting 'Told you so!' at their computer screens.

And then they'll switch off - mentally, if not physically!

They've no interest in working hard for many years to achieve what they want, and certainly aren't interested in how difficult it's been for many others to get to 'the top'.

They judge others by their material wealth, and make excuses as to why they themselves don't have the same, while conveniently ignoring the years of effort and sacrifices it might have taken someone to get where they are.

The article describes him as having 'a chip on his shoulder' which he obviously used positively as motivation to succeed.

It also says he had 'drive' and 'passion'...

... sadly, both words now seem to becoming obsolete! :roll:

• Like 1