2nd October 2022 Mass Bus Cuts Across South Yorkshire

Michael_N

On 07/10/2022 at 08:38, RollingJ said:

@martinC@ResidentJust for comparison, here are the Brighton & Hove Buses ticket prices for use across their whole network - which can also be used with other operators on some routes/sections of routes:

networkSAVER

day 
day
day 

Pay monthly

day 
Annual
Adult £5.50 £25.00 £91.00 £88.00 £248.00 £785.00
Child £2.75 £12.10 - £38.00 £116.00 £385.00
Student £4.00 £16.65 £61.25 - £162.45 £487.75

Travel Master equivalent across all operators in all of South Yorkshire

Adult       £7.40         £24.70    £92.60     

Child        £2.70          £9.00      £35.00

Student  £6.20        £20.90    £78.70

The TM ticket offers a lot better value than the B&H one and is cheaper or less than 70p a day difference but you can use the whole bus network.

12 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

I don't get it

a transport deal was signed in 2017 when the store was built so if not spent on the buses what would it have been spent on and what was the money previously being used for

Changes to the road network? No idea.  It doesnt specifically say it was a "public transport" deal I suppose.

22 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Travel Master equivalent across all operators in all of South Yorkshire

Adult       £7.40         £24.70    £92.60     

Child        £2.70          £9.00      £35.00

Student  £6.20        £20.90    £78.70

The TM ticket offers a lot better value than the B&H one and is cheaper or less than 70p a day difference but you can use the whole bus network.

Have you checked the validity/area of operation of the B&H ticket - I have, and used it frequently prior to getting my ENCTS pass last year?

BTW - I accept the longer-term tickets are considerably more expensive, but from my experience of travelling extensively in the area, the service is more reliable, and frequent.

Edited by RollingJ

I'm not sure whether these were bus cuts or simply severances.

I live in the Firshill area of Sheffield and we had two services, 83/83a.  They were reduced to one service, 83a. Problem was, even that wasn't running on Monday 3rd and Tuesday 4th. Some of my neighbours waited over an hour and there were no buses, in either direction. I waited for 45 minutes on Tuesday and two didn't turn up. On Wednesday, I went out twice, once in the morning and then again in the afternoon and waited over an hour on both occasions. No buses again. From where I live it's a twenty minute walk to the nearest bus service on Barnsley road, and many of my neighbours are elderly and disabled, not an easy walk for them.

Someone needs to get a grip on this imo.

Guest busdriver1
4 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

So when they built the store a transport levy was placed on it and that is now being used to fund a waste of space service that deliberately diverts away from the store. Classic.

3 hours ago, BigAl1 said:

I wasn't!

still waiting for someone to tell me how they put the entrance to the store at the furthest point possible from the tram stop

How many customers going to a store that sells mainly flatpack furniture go there by tram? I would not have thought many, if any and that is probably why the entrance is not near the tram stop. 

10 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

So when they built the store a transport levy was placed on it and that is now being used to fund a waste of space service that deliberately diverts away from the store. Classic.

I wouldn't call the X1/X10 service a waste of space. It's heavily used. I do, however agree that it's an odd choice for it to be routed to turn onto Dunlop St from the main road, missing out the Retail Park and Ikea.  Pretty sure that it'd be worth more to continue down the main road then left onto Weedon St to get back to it's current route down Meadowhall Drive. 

Maybe with this new deal there might be an upcoming re-route? 

Although as I re-read the article is comes across as it's money that Ikea paid to the council for "transport costs" and has never been used so they're diverting those funds. 

Edited by Resident

16 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

How many customers going to a store that sells mainly flatpack furniture go there by tram? I would not have thought many, if any and that is probably why the entrance is not near the tram stop. 

They do not just sell flat pack stuff and a surprising number go by tram

20 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Changes to the road network? No idea.  It doesnt specifically say it was a "public transport" deal I suppose.

One might have thought that if the money was for changes to the road network that 5 years on the money would have been spent on remodeling the roads

2 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

They do not just sell flat pack stuff and a surprising number go by tram

One might have thought that if the money was for changes to the road network that 5 years on the money would have been spent on remodeling the roads

Maybe they did and this was the remainder. God knows.