2nd October 2022 Mass Bus Cuts Across South Yorkshire

Michael_N

An age ago when my local service was redirected and services reduced I posed a question about customer service. A very vocal, and regular contributor to this forum, employee summed up the attitude of major providers by stating they are business and don’t do public service 

7 hours ago, catmiss said:

An age ago when my local service was redirected and services reduced I posed a question about customer service. A very vocal, and regular contributor to this forum, employee summed up the attitude of major providers by stating they are business and don’t do public service 

Which one??

9 hours ago, catmiss said:

A business that loses £2+ million every year (at least)

13 hours ago, driver151 said:

maybe ex shareholders, but lets face it stagecoach group made over 70 million profit this year so they dont care if little jonny has to wait for ages in the rain as he still gets on a bus at some point a pays like most

Saying Stagecoach made £70mil last financial is a bit disengenuous. Stagecoach South Yorkshire didn't make a profit. You work for Stagecoach SY not Stagecoach Group.

Stagecoach group has numerous other transport ventures which do make money but local public services aren't ones of them.

Spotted on another site (no link though):

'Huw Merriman MP chair of Transport Select Committee says buses need to be smaller and electric and hail and ride.'

I can just see the logic in that - not! 😃 Try that down (say) London Road .

Edited by RollingJ
Added text.

21 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

'Huw Merriman MP chair of Transport Select Committee says buses need to be smaller and electric and hail and ride.'

Hail and ride never worked when it was used. It certainly won't now with the rise of self-entitlement. 

There was one Rotherham route, operated by First before the cuts that still used Hail and Ride for a small estate section.  I was on this bus when a lady hailed the bus. She was about 15yrds from a side road, good place to stop and visible to the driver. Bus stops, she boards and driver goes to set off. 
Stood at the other side of the junction, no more than 30ft was someone else and as soon as the bus set off she stuck her hand out.  Sheer laziness and entitlement not walking to the bus after it pulled up initially. 

In that instance IMO the driver did right and ignored her. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Resident said:

Hail and ride never worked when it was used. It certainly won't now with the rise of self-entitlement. 

There was one Rotherham route, operated by First before the cuts that still used Hail and Ride for a small estate section.  I was on this bus when a lady hailed the bus. She was about 15yrds from a side road, good place to stop and visible to the driver. Bus stops, she boards and driver goes to set off. 
Stood at the other side of the junction, no more than 30ft was someone else and as soon as the bus set off she stuck her hand out.  Sheer laziness and entitlement not walking to the bus after it pulled up initially. 

In that instance IMO the driver did right and ignored her. 

Totally agree with the highlighted bit.

The M17 was also H&R on a couple of sections (Green Oak Estate and another area I can't recall), but that was logical and possible as there were no designated stops there.

• Like 1

Guest busdriver1
4 hours ago, RollingJ said:

And that is why local councillors need to be kept away from public transport. 

Hope the Coucil get back the bus service back to normal,as ever since the bus changes i have been late for work,did the Bus companies think about the working public at All,People start work normally at 6.00a.m but most of the buses or timetables have ever been removed or altered to unable people to get to work on time,Why?were they allowed to do this is totally disgusting

6 minutes ago, 1295galaxy said:

Hope the Coucil get back the bus service back to normal,as ever since the bus changes i have been late for work,did the Bus companies think about the working public at All,People start work normally at 6.00a.m but most of the buses or timetables have ever been removed or altered to unable people to get to work on time,Why?were they allowed to do this is totally disgusting

People start work normally at 6am 😂😂😂😂😂

No. No they dont.

As an aside, understand what timing points are yet?

Edited by HeHasRisen