2nd October 2022 Mass Bus Cuts Across South Yorkshire

Michael_N

Guest busdriver1
7 hours ago, Resident said:

I wouldn't call the X1/X10 service a waste of space. It's heavily used. I do, however agree that it's an odd choice for it to be routed to turn onto Dunlop St from the main road, missing out the Retail Park and Ikea.  Pretty sure that it'd be worth more to continue down the main road then left onto Weedon St to get back to it's current route down Meadowhall Drive. 

Maybe with this new deal there might be an upcoming re-route? 

Although as I re-read the article is comes across as it's money that Ikea paid to the council for "transport costs" and has never been used so they're diverting those funds. 

The route of the X1/10 was run that way to avoid the congestion the area suffers from. The whole route was arrived at as a result of the funding for the BRT scheme that failed massively (remember that) and was to be on dedicated roads and with priorities where that could not be done. Instead we got one road open to the public and priorities that slow buses down. 

The reason it is a failure in my book is that it did not generate any new traffic and instead just robbed passengers off the X78 that actually had to be reduced in frequency to force people onto the X1 at the same time alienating loads of bus users at Tinsley by missing it out in all but name, compared to the 69 that it replaced.

1 hour ago, BigAl1 said:

They do not just sell flat pack stuff and a surprising number go by tram

You live and learn, until they open one in Rotherham I will manage to live without it myself.

Guest busdriver1
7 hours ago, Resident said:

Maybe with this new deal there might be an upcoming re-route? 

Although as I re-read the article is comes across as it's money that Ikea paid to the council for "transport costs" and has never been used so they're diverting those funds. 

Cant really see a reroute as it gets stuck in traffic badly already and that going the way it does to avoid the worst of it.

The payments for the initial BRT I believe have ended so maybe this is just to extend it for a while.

43 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

The route of the X1/10 was run that way to avoid the congestion the area suffers from. The whole route was arrived at as a result of the funding for the BRT scheme that failed massively (remember that) and was to be on dedicated roads and with priorities where that could not be done. Instead we got one road open to the public and priorities that slow buses down. 

The reason it is a failure in my book is that it did not generate any new traffic and instead just robbed passengers off the X78 that actually had to be reduced in frequency to force people onto the X1 at the same time alienating loads of bus users at Tinsley by missing it out in all but name, compared to the 69 that it replaced.

You live and learn, until they open one in Rotherham I will manage to live without it myself.

I can assure you it is not difficult to live without it. In my opinion IKEA has to be one of the worst shopping experiences there is even if there might be some nice things and some tastey meatballs in the cafe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigAl1 said:

I can assure you it is not difficult to live without it. In my opinion IKEA has to be one of the worst shopping experiences there is even if there might be some nice things and some tastey meatballs in the cafe.

I take my kids and let them run riot. Having said that, that may be why you think it's the worst :hihi: 

6 hours ago, BigAl1 said:

No that’s fine it is the need to go through the whole store along the trail when you want one item

There are various cut throughs and you certainly dont have to go through the entire showroom, if any of it, in order to get to the actual shop or warehouse bit. 

In fact when I have needed something from the warehouse bit at the end I have gone in using the exit.

Edited by HeHasRisen
Typo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

I wrote to the SYTPE (if still called that) not long after the X1 got introduced,  and suggested that the X1 could come a bit further along Meadowhall Road once it had left Meadowhall interchange and stop at the bottom of Jenkin Road, and then go along Weedon Street before joining Attercliffe Common instead of turning onto Meadowhall Way, then onto Weedon Street and Attercliffe Common.  This was because loads of bus users from Brightside and Wincobank relied  heavily on a regular x78 into the city.  As soon as the X1 was introduced the X78's were reduced and I and many others lost count of the times the X78's were missing or very late but we would see 3  empty X1's going merrily around the corner whilst we were stood waiting.  They said NO.  I then asked if they could possibly reinstate the stop that used to be situated just before the turn onto Meadowhall Way so that  X78 users could easily reach a stop used by both buses hence increasing the chance of successfully catching either the X1 or X78.  They said NO to that as well.  In the end I had to give up catching the bus and had to take the car, it was just too stressful trying to get the kids to school and get to work on time.   It's like common sense must not prevail!  I was one of many Brightside users in this position. 

25 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

@mrsb73We are talking the SYPTE here - they have a basic policy of not considering bus users needs.

It’s totally preposterous to think that a member of the public might have a better understanding of consumer needs than the PTE. Bet the PTE never even offered an explanation as to why it was not possible 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigAl1 said:

It’s totally preposterous to think that a member of the public might have a better understanding of consumer needs than the PTE. Bet the PTE never even offered an explanation as to why it was not possible 

SYPTE explaining anything ?- fat chance.