So What Is In His Mini-Budget?

8 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

I agree but if you keep on regurgitating the same old ideas from previous posts it does not help to engage people.

The above sounds just like a Labour manifesto that sounds good but holds no real solutions to the problems.

Fair enough. But what are your ideas? We have to start somewhere. 

My number one priority would be getting the correct taxes from the super wealthy. We need money to deal with most problems.

9 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Sounds like a Communist Manifesto.

I don't see it that way, nor do I think Communism or Capitalism are the only choices.

There has to be a middle way surely? 

That's why I suggest we look at other countries to see which good ideas can be successfully adapted.

Edited by Anna B

5 hours ago, El Cid said:

It's a minor problem that we cannot solve, France don't want to help because they have even more.

I don't agree with Anna that it is a battle between rich and poor.

There are opportunities for everyone, but the benefits system does not help them.

This budget has just pumped more money into the economy. We need to get back to making good citizens, like education, education, education.

We need healthy citizens, more sugar tax, not less.

More exercise, so not electric cars, but public transport.

The media may push a class war, but how much people are taxed is less important.

Has it? My impression was that cutting taxes would reduce income. Especially in the short term.

Most of the rest I agree with.

Edited by Anna B

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

How would cutting taxes reduce income?

Cutting taxes increases come.

Cutting taxes = less income tax going to the government. 

They are assuming that people will spend the extra cash on goods, but for the majority it will be very little, and most of it will simply go on bills, keeping up with the cost of living. 

Edited by Anna B

15 hours ago, crookesey said:

Anna, you’re very good at documenting what you see as being ‘wrong’, however you don’t appear to have a solution it. Voting for any particular political party in the hope that they have the answer translates to them having more idea than us, I wish. If I could waive a magic wand and bring back coal mining, steel making, ship building, other heavy engineering etc, etc, along with all the ancillary industries that made them tick I would, but unfortunately I can’t.

France almost has a conveyor belt that ships asylum seekers to the U.K. rather than take any responsibility for them, we have become Benefits Bandits Bonanza Britain, perhaps some efforts to address this wouldn’t go amiss.

France takes more asylum seekers than the UK.

https://www.unhcr.org/uk/asylum-in-the-uk.html

"In the year ending September 2021, Germany received the highest number of asylum applicants (127,730) in the EU+, followed by France (96,510). When compared with the EU+, the UK received the 4th largest number of applicants (44, 190 – including main applicants and dependents). This equates to 8% of the total asylum applicants across the EU+ and UK combined over that period, or the 18th largest intake when measured per head of population."

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

Cutting taxes = less income tax going to the government. 

They are assuming that people will spend the extra cash on goods, but for the majority it will be very little, and most of it will simply go on bills, keeping up with the cost of living. 

Especially when the £45 billion reduction in top rate tax will be funded from government borrowing - which means all taxpayers will cop for it when repaying the debt.

Well, the £ is falling fast and might likely hit parity with the $ which isn't good news for UK.

This budget seems to be having a knock on effect- with the pound falling we'll now see imported goods cost more- which will mean higher prices including at the pumps!

Well done Kamikaze Kwasi ..

Edited by ThaBoom

11 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Nonsense.  The reduction in top rate tax is likely to bring in more tax revenue because there is more incentive to work harder.

...but, has it ever worked?

The French removed their 75% tax rate, and it made almost no difference.

The 2017 Tax cuts in the US reduced revenue and increased the deficit considerably.