So What Is In His Mini-Budget?

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

Because the British media are troublemakers and haven't got the best interests of the country at heart. The British media targeted Boris Johnson and relentlessly persued a which hunt against him. Now the media have found a new target to attack and continue to act against the best interests of the country. 

My ex wife is like that, but if I behave she has nothing to complain about.

As we know, the country is in a terrible mess, and now the head of every government department has been told to implement cuts.

It won't work.

Yes, the NHS can sack a few managers and the Department for Transport can shelve plans to widen the M25..

Little things like this will save millions, but there will still be millions to go, which is why Liz and her tea boy must consider chopping all departments.

I would get rid of the Department of Energy and Climate change because it's silly, when times are tight, to have a whole ministry to manage something over which humankind has no control, is like having a Department for Jupiter.

But the climate change department is relatively small, and cutting that when when you are a trillion in debt would be like trying to solve a £50,000 overdraft by not having your hair cut anymore.

The Padders think tank has been hard at work, and I think I have the answer:  Scotland.

Lets examine the benefits,

In the last election the Scottish National Party took a big percentage of the votes, add this to the lot of non-voters who also want to go their own way and you realize there is significant support north of the border for Hadrian's Wall to be rebuilt...

Economically, the SNP thinks Scotland would be fine, on their website they state that,

Ireland is independent and is the "fourth most prosperous country in the world" (really?)

And Iceland, another small independent state, is the "sixth most prosperous country in the world" apart from being totally bankrupt, obviously.

Lets not get bogged down though, the upsides go on and on. Without Scotland on the electoral map, Liz would have an even bigger majority in the House of Commons, and we would never again have a Scottish prime minister, also, Scotland would become abroad- which would make it an exotic holiday destination.

So what you might be thinking , what is in it for those who remain- the Welsh and those in the south of England? 

Well, there's no doubt that letting Scotland go would be very painful, especially after 300 years of friendship, but what are the alternatives? The NHS? The ministry of Defence?

No, I'm afraid it has to be Scotland, it costs the UK £49 billion a year keeping Scotland afloat, add to that the £6 billion in cuts from the fat elsewhere, would go a long way to solving our debt crisis..

Oil? Well, obviously the Scottish oil companies such as, er, whatever they are called, would continue to pump the black gold into Aberdeen while the others, such as BP and Shell, could simply divert their pipelines to Kent. Thats fair, Oh, and we'd have to move the Trident submarine fleet as well..

I want to make it clear to any Scottish Forum members that I do not want to throw you on the cutting room floor. 

I shall miss you with your funny skirts and ginger hair. The SAS will miss you too, since over the years 65% of its soldiers are said to be from North of the border.

But we simply cannot afford to stay together anymore, you've got to go,

Goodbye then, and good luck.......

4 minutes ago, Padders said:

As we know, the country is in a terrible mess, and now the head of every government department has been told to implement cuts.

It won't work.

Yes, the NHS can sack a few managers and the Department for Transport can shelve plans to widen the M25..

Little things like this will save millions, but there will still be millions to go, which is why Liz and her tea boy must consider chopping all departments.

I would get rid of the Department of Energy and Climate change because it's silly, when times are tight, to have a whole ministry to manage something over which humankind has no control, is like having a Department for Jupiter.

But the climate change department is relatively small, and cutting that when when you are a trillion in debt would be like trying to solve a £50,000 overdraft by not having your hair cut anymore.

The Padders think tank has been hard at work, and I think I have the answer:  Scotland.

Lets examine the benefits,

In the last election the Scottish National Party took a big percentage of the votes, add this to the lot of non-voters who also want to go their own way and you realize there is significant support north of the border for Hadrian's Wall to be rebuilt...

Economically, the SNP thinks Scotland would be fine, on their website they state that,

Ireland is independent and is the "fourth most prosperous country in the world" (really?)

And Iceland, another small independent state, is the "sixth most prosperous country in the world" apart from being totally bankrupt, obviously.

Lets not get bogged down though, the upsides go on and on. Without Scotland on the electoral map, Liz would have an even bigger majority in the House of Commons, and we would never again have a Scottish prime minister, also, Scotland would become abroad- which would make it an exotic holiday destination.

So what you might be thinking , what is in it for those who remain- the Welsh and those in the south of England? 

Well, there's no doubt that letting Scotland go would be very painful, especially after 300 years of friendship, but what are the alternatives? The NHS? The ministry of Defence?

No, I'm afraid it has to be Scotland, it costs the UK £49 billion a year keeping Scotland afloat, add to that the £6 billion in cuts from the fat elsewhere, would go a long way to solving our debt crisis..

Oil? Well, obviously the Scottish oil companies such as, er, whatever they are called, would continue to pump the black gold into Aberdeen while the others, such as BP and Shell, could simply divert their pipelines to Kent. Thats fair, Oh, and we'd have to move the Trident submarine fleet as well..

I want to make it clear to any Scottish Forum members that I do not want to throw you on the cutting room floor. 

I shall miss you with your funny skirts and ginger hair. The SAS will miss you too, since over the years 65% of its soldiers are said to be from North of the border.

But we simply cannot afford to stay together anymore, you've got to go,

Goodbye then, and good luck.......

Stop foreign aid to places like India too,  at least until we get back on our feet

2 minutes ago, Padders said:

This in itself makes little sense, we just Brexited... meaning many of those departments now have significantly more work to do just to stand still, let alone any notion of increased efficiency/productivity.

And it's not millions that Truss has just decided to hand to the already rich, it's billions. People don't really register the gulf between those; billions isn't just a few millions, it's thousands of millions. The amount the Tories want to hand to the rich, and already gave away for pish-poor returns to their mates during Covid, is a big chunk of the entire country's economic output. 

6 hours ago, Magilla said:

This in itself makes little sense, we just Brexited... meaning many of those departments now have significantly more work to do just to stand still, let alone any notion of increased efficiency/productivity.

But the country is broke. Someone has got to pay for the 80% of wages paid during COVID and the lost revenue due to falling exports.

Strikes will cause chaos and cost billions because the country is divided and without leadership. Maybe leadership will be shown, but Tories divide, they don't lead.

2 minutes ago, El Cid said:

But the country is broke. Someone has got to pay for the 80% of wages paid during COVID and the lost revenue due to falling exports.

Strikes will cause chaos and cost billions because the country is divided and without leadership. Maybe leadership will be shown, but Tories divide, they don't lead.

What's the alternative to the Tories?

1 hour ago, Jack Grey said:

What's the alternative to the Tories?

The Tories have had leaders that lied and made the country poorer, there is only one alternative, vote Labour.

But this thread is about the mini budget which has been a disaster, putting up inflation which is bad for mortgage holders and businesses.