So What Is In His Mini-Budget?

10 minutes ago, top4718 said:

Labour haven’t been the party of the working class for decades. No idea why anyone still thinks they are.

I certainly don't.

But then the Tories claimed that they are the party of the working class and had a whole bunch of red wall seats to prove it. A big part of that was Brexit, and at the time the received wisdom was, from the vote leave camp that the working classes were sick of the establishment where London and the South East did very well, and 'the left behind ' towns of Northern England were expected to 'suck it up'. Hence 'levelling up' was the 'thank you' from the Tory Party to those areas that put them into power.

Now of course, there has been a massive volte face from the last 12 years of economic policy to something different. Leaving aside questions about their mandate to do this, I just wonder how the working class in the red wall feel that not only does levelling up seem to have been put on a back burner, but those people in the establishment, the people doing very well in London and the South East are going to have caps on their bonuses removed but enjoy tax cuts as well. Whilst those further down the scale will have to 'suck it up' and not see further windfall taxes on energy companies who are raking it in because of Putin's war in the Ukraine.

2 minutes ago, redruby said:

Reading this forum I often wonder why it attracts so many hardline Tories who will defend just about any and every Tory policy to the hilt. Even the comments on this mini budget in the Daily Fail are mostly scathing of this. 

It's the cultists. 

14 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Don't be ridiculous. Attracting more top bankers to be based in the UK generates more tax revenue which will help fund the NHS.  Paying NHS staff  more won't get the waiting lists down.  

What will get the NHS waiting lists down then?

11 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Don't be ridiculous. Attracting more top bankers to be based in the UK generates more tax revenue which will help fund the NHS.  Paying NHS staff  more won't get the waiting lists down.  

The problem is that when people talk about pay rises for NHS staff they include the whole organisation where there are so many pay bands

I think that they should give pay rises to Nurses and Carers but not to senior management, doctors or consultants who already get paid very well

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Yes it would because then they wouldn't go abroad for better pay and the NHS could actually make use of the facilities that they don't have staff for.

Once again a fail from Westie!

And as for bonuses, how does removing the top rate of tax generate more tax revenue... it doesn't!

Fail!

7 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I know that paying NHS more money won't bring the waiting lists down which the poster I quoted implied. 

What do you think will get the NHS waiting lists down?

I do know that Labour had the waiting lists down to historically low levels when they left office and had the highest satisfaction rating for the NHS from the public in years.

How satisfied are people with the NHS?

The British Social Attitudes Survey has asked the public since 1983 about their satisfaction with the NHS. From 2001-2010 the proportion of people in Great Britain surveyed reporting satisfaction with the NHS generally increased to a peak of 70%.

That figure was from the 2010 survey, which took place between June and September, after the Coalition government had taken office. By 2017 satisfaction had fallen to 57%.  

Edited by Mister M

9 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I do know that in 2020 there was a global pandemic that meant most of the NHS resources were used in fighting that which resulted in waiting  lists being hugely increased.

However waiting lists were already increasing before the pandemic happened.

Elective (planned) care 

The total waiting list for elective care was steadily increasing before Covid, from 2.5 million in April 2012 to 4.6 million in February 2020. At the beginning of the pandemic, the waiting list dropped to 4 million as GP appointments and referrals fell. Since then, the waiting list has soared to 6.7 million in May 2022 and is growing at a significantly faster rate than before the pandemic. If pre-pandemic trends had continued, we might have expected the waiting list to be around 5.3 million.  (How much is Covid-19 to blame for growing NHS waiting times? | The Nuffield Trust)

Edited by Mister M

Also we were told in the Austerity years that the books must be balanced. A balanced budget would lead to growth we were told. And many services were duly cut and slashed, and people dependent on those services suffered.

Now that policy seems to have gone out of the window. Now the Government is happy to borrow much more to pay for tax cuts for wealthier people. This will lead to growth we are told.

To help a struggling economy grow we must punish those who are dependent on services. To help a struggling economy we must reward those who are doing very nicely thank you.

34 minutes ago, Mister M said:

To help a struggling economy we must reward those who are doing very nicely thank you.

Of course as that makes economic sense. Those who are doing very nicely (as you put it) even though it's a small percentage overall contribute more to the economy than you or I ever will. If you don't reward them you then have to suffer the consequences as they will just move elsewhere where they will be rewarded. The few Labour governments in the past found that out the hard way as when taxes were high those doing well did in fact leave the UK.