Car Breakdown Cover Prices

Time for my car breakdown cover to be renewed, I received my renewal documents this morning from Greenflag. I have been with them 3 years I think and never used them. I can't see me staying with them, the renewal quote has a 41.0714% increase on last year's price, Is it any wonder we have high inflation when companies stick price increases like this on their services.

34 minutes ago, iansheff said:

Time for my car breakdown cover to be renewed, I received my renewal documents this morning from Greenflag. I have been with them 3 years I think and never used them. I can't see me staying with them, the renewal quote has a 41.0714% increase on last year's price, Is it any wonder we have high inflation when companies stick price increases like this on their services.

You've got to play that game and threaten to leave. 

Been with the AA 10 years and I've had a price increase even after negotiation.

They said that last year's prices were down to covid and people not using their cars as much so now that everyone is back on the roadz they can't give me another price freeze 

42 minutes ago, iansheff said:

I got a great deal on Wowcher or one of those voucher sites

Have a look on those 👍

23 minutes ago, fools said:

Instead of moaning on social media, ask them for a better price.

Insurance is the one thing that has gone down in price recently.

I was simply saying that it had gone up a ridiculous amount, not moaning as you put it. I have looked at the compare sites and found that I can get what looks like the same cover with GF with only 14% increase which is still a very high increase.

5 minutes ago, iansheff said:

I was simply saying that it had gone up a ridiculous amount, not moaning as you put it. I have looked at the compare sites and found that I can get what looks like the same cover with GF with only 14% increase which is still a very high increase.

14% is inflation plus a few percent. Not too extortionate tbh.

But yes no point in being loyal.

7 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

I got a great deal on Wowcher or one of those voucher sites

Have a look on those 👍

Cheers for that, on the comparison sites there are some very competitive prices, from the likes of Eversure,  AXA and LVBrittania. Just a matter of looking at reviews of the different companies and deciding who to use.

How much is the quote, for what cover. It's about 30 something for basic cover.

I suggest you spend a few minutes calling their freephone number, and moan at them, politely, you might be pleasantly surprised at the discount you are offered.

If insurance goes up, haggle.

Alternatively, keep the main breakdown services numbers in your phone, and call them up for a quote if and when you need them.

Edited by fools

15 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I was with the AA for over 35 years but left two years ago when they said they couldn't lower the price as in previous years.  I'm with Green Flag now but  I think it will be hard to get a lower price because it's all done online.

I use the AA for household contents insurance. I never haggle because year on year it goes down, and is always cheaper than others.

This year's renewal down to £55 from £75.