Car Breakdown Cover Prices

1 hour ago, iansheff said:

Time for my car breakdown cover to be renewed, I received my renewal documents this morning from Greenflag. I have been with them 3 years I think and never used them. I can't see me staying with them, the renewal quote has a 41.0714% increase on last year's price, Is it any wonder we have high inflation when companies stick price increases like this on their services.

I get cheaper car breakdown cover through my car insurance.

As an aside, I think recovery originally called "relay", is the one to go for. After all, say you're on holiday in Devon and your car breaks down  (particularly if it's towards the end of the holiday or on the trip back) they will only take it to the nearest garage, so how are you going to get the car back to Sheff ? Or indeed you and your family back to Sheff ? 

Edited by Chekhov

8 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

As an aside, I think recovery is the one to go for. After all, say you're on the way back from holiday in Devon and your car breaks down there (particularly if it's towards the end of the holiday) they will only take it to the nearest garage, so how are you going to get the car back to Sheff ? Or indeed you and your family back to Sheff ? 

If that happened, you'd have the option of paying the extra to get home. How many times in your lifetime has this happened, and how much extra have you paid to cover the possibility.

Edited by fools

53 minutes ago, fools said:

If that happened, you'd have the option of paying the extra to get home. How many times in your lifetime has this happened, and how much extra have you paid to cover the possibility.

How much extra would they want ? I reckon it would be an astronomical amount.

I agree with you it does depend on how much extra it costs for relay cover, but at the end of the day it's peace of mind isn't it ?

I once broke down in the Lion enclose at West Midlands Safari park, I kid you not, we had to get towed out by rangers... Of more relevance is that the guy who came out spent ages getting the clutch temporarily working by bodging the clutch adjuster, and, whilst chatting afterwards, pointed out to us that most call out blokes wouldn't do that, if it wasn't something simple they'd just tow it in to the nearest garage. And if they'd have done that we'd have been right in the doodoo. First how to get home, and second how to pick the car up when it had been repaired.

Edited by Chekhov

33 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

How much extra would they want ? I reckon it would be an astronomical amount.

I agree with you it does depend on how much extra it costs for relay cover, but at the end of the day it's peace of mind isn't it ?

I once broke down in the Lion enclose at West Midlands Safari park, I kid you not, we had to get towed out by rangers... 

I’m surprised that you didn’t just stroll out of there whilst having a sandwich.

38 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

🤣🤣

You may laugh, but mathematically, you have almost zero chance of being eaten by a lion in the UK.

It is important to keep these things in proportion.

4 hours ago, sibon said:

I’m surprised that you didn’t just stroll out of there whilst having a sandwich.

Troll finder :
"to antagonize (others) online by deliberately posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or offensive comments or other disruptive content"
Antagonistic ?   Yes
Inflammatory ?   Yes
Irrelevant ?   Yes
Offensive ?  Not really
Disruptive ?   Yes

4 out of 5