Energy Bills.

10 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Totally wrong.

Since the lamps are far more efficient now than twenty years ago nearly all are A and above.  

Instead of adding more + they have changed the scale.

They are getting rid of E, D, C, B, A, A+, A++ and A+++.

You will get G, F, E, D, C, B and A.

For lamps:

A = (nothing this efficient yet)

B = A+++

C = A++

D= A+

E/F = A

G = B

discontinued= E, D, C

Existing stock with the old label may still be sold until 1 March 2023.

The current energy efficiency rating of (A+) is as energy efficiency as the new (F) and therefore still 10+ times more efficient than the incandescent bulbs of the past.

Governments are far too sensible to try and re-write standards for every product and would lead to increased costs for and lack of choice and even availability to consumers. Nearly always some international standard will be adhered to in a geographic zone. In this case the UK The Ecodesign for Energy-Related Products and Energy Information (Lighting Products) Regulations 2021 legislation is a mirror of the EU legislation that we helped write. In the future this will become a bigger problem for UK consumers(for the reasons mentioned) as we will have no say in writing new legislation and standards which importers and exporters will have to adhere to. A real problem for the Swiss and Norwegian consumers and manufacturers.

Nothing you say? 

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2027373

At 210Lumens per watt it's firmly in the A category (I typed + by mistake)

Released August 2021

New rating system, released August 2021 .....

Edited by Resident

1 hour ago, cressida said:

Washing machines and tumble dryers can be energy hungry, according to Emily Seymour. But there are ways to use them efficiently, she says.

Use any eco settings and turn your machine down - particularly if clothes aren't that dirty.

Washing clothes at 30 C and using one less cycle a week could save £28 a year, the Energy Saving Trust says.

• 3 months later...
On 26/09/2022 at 08:42, Leo Tomlinson said:

The Government has said that energy bills will be capped at £2300 a year , but  on the BBC  this morning the reporter said  they can be more than this. . So are they capped or is this just another Government fairy tale .

One boss of a major energy firm has stated that we should get used to paying the high energy bills even though there's been a fall in the wholesale energy prices.  He reckons that people should forget about prices falling back to pre-Covid levels. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-64270157

This is despite the vast amount of profits the energy companies have made even though they have been subject to windfall taxes in some countries.  Apparently the higher bills will be needed for future investments in alternative energy projects now that fossil fuels are to be phased out. 

Call me cynical but I believe that the energy companies have little intention of ever going back to pre-Covid prices.  We could all have solar panels & little wind turbines on our houses & buildings & we'd simply find the energy companies here to hiking the standing charges up

23 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

....We could all have solar panels & little wind turbines on our houses & buildings & we'd simply find the energy companies here to hiking the standing charges up....

Already got my wind turbine, about as useful as others but looks cool though.

31b6c9664077d3d6cf92c929ad6a3ff7.jpg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

We culd all have solar panels & little wind turbines on our houses & buildings & we'd simply find the energy companies here to hiking the standing charges up

The money I get from my solar panels increases every year with RPI inflation. The return has not increased as much as energy prices, but those with solar panels will save a lot on their electricity bills.

I would love a wind turbine, but I understand that they are not practical.

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

One boss of a major energy firm has stated that we should get used to paying the high energy bills even though there's been a fall in the wholesale energy prices.  He reckons that people should forget about prices falling back to pre-Covid levels. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-64270157

This is despite the vast amount of profits the energy companies have made even though they have been subject to windfall taxes in some countries.  Apparently the higher bills will be needed for future investments in alternative energy projects now that fossil fuels are to be phased out. 

Call me cynical but I believe that the energy companies have little intention of ever going back to pre-Covid prices.  We could all have solar panels & little wind turbines on our houses & buildings & we'd simply find the energy companies here to hiking the standing charges up

One way to get more reasonable prices would be to look at the special tarriffs Octopus are currently offering. I am in the process of moving to them. 

Their Octopus Tracker rate sets the daily price you pay based on wholesale prices, the last 3 weeks this has fluctuated on their site between 19-25p per unit of electric and 6.5-7.5p per unit of gas, both much lower than the government caps.

If prices go back up you can move to another tarriff instantly.

As for standing charges these have gone up to cover energy company failures. 

Edited by HeHasRisen

Thought I heard Government say they are going to see why energy companies are not passing the fall on to customers. The energy firms excuse will be we buy energy months in advance so we can’t lower prices just yet, the profits they make they can afford to take a small loss.  

I don’t expect energy prices to go back to pre-Covid days but we might see a small reduction sometime this year,  is that just wishful thinking on my part?

Edited by hauxwell