Energy Bills.

Finally swapped over to the Tracker, took long enough!

Once the MIL is out of the hospital I want to try and look at her energy provider, but you have to call Octopus if you have the setup she has... she uses a prepayment thingy.

I was having a nosey the other day, they charge her something stupid like 60+ pence for the first 2 kwh she uses for electric, not sure about gas.

But she's constantly topping it up, so it's never gone under £140 balance for either fuels... in my opinion she's piddling money up the wall 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

Once the MIL is out of the hospital I want to try and look at her energy provider, but you have to call Octopus if you have the setup she has... she uses a prepayment thingy.

I was having a nosey the other day, they charge her something stupid like 60+ pence for the first 2 kwh she uses for electric, not sure about gas.

But she's constantly topping it up, so it's never gone under £140 balance for either fuels... in my opinion she's piddling money up the wall 🤷‍♂️

I am sure pre-payment meters seem more expensive, but is it that or is it an expensive provider? It should not cost more money for the poor to access energy, I would love a smart meter where those that use it have to top it up.

I would keep my money in my pocket.

22 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I am sure pre-payment meters seem more expensive, but is it that or is it an expensive provider?

It's with Utilita, I think they work out the charges differently, or so it says on the website.

The "First rate" is the first 2kw of that used, then it goes to the other rate.

Electric;

• First Rate - 58.500p
  • Saver Rate - 28.210p
  • No Standing Charge

Gas;

• First Rate - 25.886p
  • Saver Rate - 7.057p
  • No Standing Charge

Essentially the standing charge is being paid on the first two units used.

That electric rate is also lower than the cap for DD customers in Yorkshire, so prepayment isnt anywhere near as bad as it used to be.

As an aside, wholesale gas prices are down 14% so far today, this is after a 10% drop yesterday, so the blip earlier this week now been cancelled out.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

Guest ThaBoom
21 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

It's not going to be by much, so don't get too excited. 

There was one report today saying standing charge is about to increase later- most likely when ppl start using heating again.

So, expectedly it's going to send bills soaring.

2 minutes ago, ThaBoom said:

There was one report today saying standing charge is about to increase later- most likely when ppl start using heating again.

So, expectedly it's going to send bills soaring.

Well that's only because we are hitting winter and the usage goes up. Unit rates will still be going down a tad and that's the main headline. 

Nobody knows how they will split the saving yet but if its anything like last time it will be disproportionate and electric only consumers will get shafted again. 

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Thanks 1

A friend of mine who works as a "cost of living" expert and advises people how to navigate the increased prices says, the best advice that can be given to people struggling, is to have more money.

People with more money are more able to withstand increases in everyday costs.

Failing that people could always sell one of their homes.

12 minutes ago, rogets said:

A friend of mine who works as a "cost of living" expert and advises people how to navigate the increased prices says, the best advice that can be given to people struggling, is to have more money.

This post belongs on Syrup’s Joke Thread.

11 minutes ago, rogets said:

Your spot on there Rogets...

A lot of people working 12 hours a day on the minimum wage complain...

All they have to do is work an extra 2 hours and this would offset the increase in price rises...

What it boils down to is, their work shy..

No need to sell their homes, work harder is my motto......

• Haha 1