Energy Bills.

12 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

Thought I heard Government say they are going to see why energy companies are not passing the fall on to customers. The energy firms excuse will be we buy energy months in advance so we can’t lower prices just yet, the profits they make they can afford to take a small loss.  

I don’t expect energy prices to go back to pre-Covid days but we might see a small reduction sometime this year,  is that just wishful thinking on my part?

Same as the petrol funny how they never seem to buy in advance as prices rise and have to increase the prices but can never reduce them as quickly 

21 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

Same as the petrol funny how they never seem to buy in advance as prices rise and have to increase the prices but can never reduce them as quickly 

The gap between Costco prices and "everywhere else" prices is much smaller now that it was a few weeks ago, which is interesting. 

I’ve dug this up rather than start another, how are energy bills suiting you? I’m on a smart meter for home energy and use their on-line graphs, only to find that my usage is almost identical to that of last year, albeit at twice the cost. Folk that I discuss the current situation with fall into two categories, one being similar to mine, the other strangely enough from folk who appear to have give up on central heating to rely on warm clothing.

If it wasn’t for the standing charges my bill would be more than reasonable but there were massive increases at the last contract with the same company designed to penalise low users like me and to pay for the incompetence of government and regulators 

48.35p vs 7p =691% electric 

27.22p vs 7p = 389% gas

I would suggest to anyone to get themselves switched to Octopus and get on their Tracker rate, I did mention this the other day but didnt elaborate, essentially the rate you pay changes daily, it is currently capped at the Government caps (so electric cant go above 33p a unit, for example). These are what the rates have been the last couple of weeks:

9EAkqhU.jpg

As you can see, it only went above 30p one of the days. You also get a free £50 credit when you switch, too. If the rates start to soar you can move onto another rate just by popping them an email.

At the end of the day, the only way to save on bills is to cut down on use.  Apart from a few weeks ago, the weather has be relatively mild for the time of year, so we don't put the gas fires on until 6pm & the radiators are only on 9pm until 11pm, then 7am for an hour in a morning. 

As a result, when I submitted a reading to British Gas last week, (I don't want a smart meter), we're already just over £500 in credit.   I'll let this ride & see where we are after April when the next price increase is supposed to kick in?

Hasn't the gas price on the markets dropped back down though?

Since Government intervention companies are only going to charge the cap now, regardless.  We'll only find out if they've been stacking up big profits when they make their quarterly financial announcements.

9 minutes ago, geared said:

Yes. The "cap" for July 2023 and October 2023 is projected to be well below the current October 2022 one.

Hence why that Octopus Tracker is currently an appealing proposition for both gas and electric (see last page)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, geared said:

Since Government intervention companies are only going to charge the cap now, regardless.  We'll only find out if they've been stacking up big profits when they make their quarterly financial announcements.

My bold. 

Yes it has but the likes of  energy boss, Anders Opedal are stating we should get use to the higher prices. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64270157

18 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

Yes it has but the likes of  energy boss, Anders Opedal are stating we should get use to the higher prices. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64270157

But he would, wouldn't he? A massive positive bottom line means his bonuses &c increase, and that is all a lot of those removed from real life care about.