Energy Bills.

3 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

The "cap" is based on a notional usage of 12,000 kilowatt hours (kWh) of gas and 2,900 kWh of electricity a year. Suppliers can spread this over the unit rate and standing charge as they see fit. So yes they cant just whack it up to a fiver a day.

EVERYONEs standing charge has gone up the last year to pay for the various supplier failures, there is no greed here sadly.

I think the average figures are a nonsense, I was reading a lengthy thread on a forum where various people in different circumstances were all using way above average, I think they've been set deliberately low.

3 minutes ago, top4718 said:

I think the average figures are a nonsense, I was reading a lengthy thread on a forum where various people in different circumstances were all using way above average, I think they've been set deliberately low.

In any case its the unit price that matters, so any talk of "average household" is moot, really they should be talking about a unit rate cap but i have no idea why they dont.

I am a below average user (by OFGEM definition, anyway) and there are 2 of us in this household now.

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Just a word of warning for anyone with Eon - just logged in and they have decided to reduce my payment by £67 to account for the Government support payment that starts next month. I would rather build up a credit so I have changed it back to the existing amount.

There just no winning. Many people complain about the energy companies building up credits that are used to smooth out the bills.

i always preferred to be in credit and not suddenly end up with a big bill back in the day but no (sorry) with the advent of the smart meter ( forget the in home display) the energy companies are better able to provide accurate billing. 

3 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

Is it only the unit price per KW?

Or is there a cap on the standing charge to?

Because the greedy energy companies will just raise the standing charge to counter balance the cap

My standing charge has gone up 150%

My standing charge this year is the same as my total energy bill including the charges last year 

3 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

There just no winning. Many people complain about the energy companies building up credits that are used to smooth out the bills.

i always preferred to be in credit and not suddenly end up with a big bill back in the day but no (sorry) with the advent of the smart meter ( forget the in home display) the energy companies are better able to provide accurate billing. 

Indeed but I would have liked to have been given the choice if my DD was to stay the same or be reduced for the period the support was being provided. 

No email, I just decided to log in today and there it was, a reduced payment to be taken a week today. Had I left it longer than today they probably wouldnt have been able to amend it back in time. 

For the record I have no issue with building up a bit of credit. My fixed ends in Feb so the credit will cover the higher unit rate for a year at least.

Edited by HeHasRisen

2 hours ago, Ethella said:

A man phoned Radio 4 last week.  He goes to people's home advising how to cut down on  energy usage amongst other things.

He was astonished when visiting a flat to find that the heating was on full blast, to the point that he could hardly breath. 

He asked them why and was told that as the maximum they would be paying was £2500, they could use whatever they liked!

Some people are in for a frightening shock.

Don't supposed you remember the day/time this one was on?

Sounds like it's worth finding on catch-up and having a listen.

8 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Which supplier are you with?

He probably means its gone up 150% in the last year or so, which tbf has happened with almost everyone to pay for the supplier failures.

Dont think he means its going up 150% in October, unless he is coming off a historic fix.

Edited by HeHasRisen

37 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Indeed but I would have liked to have been given the choice if my DD was to stay the same or be reduced for the period the support was being provided. 

No email, I just decided to log in today and there it was, a reduced payment to be taken a week today. Had I left it longer than today they probably wouldnt have been able to amend it back in time. 

For the record I have no issue with building up a bit of credit. My fixed ends in Feb so the credit will cover the higher unit rate for a year at least.

It is hard to persuade them and to be honest I am not surprised given the flack they receive for sitting on customer money plus the fact that so many energy companies have gone bust.

just looked in my account and see the same no communication first but my direct debit has been reduced to less than £10 a month 

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

He probably means its gone up 150% in the last year or so, which tbf has happened with almost everyone to pay for the supplier failures.

Dont think he means its going up 150% in October.

Is been capped though since April.

As of April 2022 till October 2022 the average standing charge for electricity on a monthly tariff was capped at 45p a day and gas at 27p a day. From 1st October it rises by 1p per day.