Energy Bills.

4 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Is been capped though since April.

As of April 2022 till October 2022 the average standing charge for electricity on a monthly tariff was capped at 45p a day and gas at 27p a day. From 1st October it rises by 1p per day.

It has but compared to a year or so ago its still a big increase on the standing charge, I can only assume that is what he is comparing it to.

As an example, a year ago today I was with Symbio (who went bust soon after). Their standing charge on an old bill I just found was 11.4p a day! Bonkers how much it is now (43p in my case) but I understand why its gone up so much.

The only way Jack Greys standing charge is going up that much next week is if an old fixed rate is ending, assuming he isnt talking rubbish.

Edited by HeHasRisen

6 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

It is hard to persuade them and to be honest I am not surprised given the flack they receive for sitting on customer money plus the fact that so many energy companies have gone bust.

just looked in my account and see the same no communication first but my direct debit has been reduced to less than £10 a month 

If Eon go bust we are all in trouble tbh. They wont let Bulb go properly bust for the same reason.

3 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

If Eon go bust we are all in trouble tbh. They wont let Bulb go properly bust for the same reason.

Unfortunately the idiots who will not let Bulb go under are cost you and me and everyone else a fortune last estimate I saw £150 which will be hidden in our bills due in part to the fact that they have not been allowed to hedge their energy purchases.

5 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

It has but compared to a year or so ago its still a big increase on the standing charge, I can only assume that is what he is comparing it to.

My gas bill from E-on has just arrived and it shows the standing charge to be 25.9p per day an a charge of 0.84p on my variable DD for actual usage! Unfortunately when percentages are used it make any increase seem disproportionally large so rising by 150% may actually still not be much as far as a standing charge is concerned.

Anyway, let's see if I get a reply as to which supplier he is with!;)

14 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

As an example, a year ago today I was with Symbio (who went bust soon after). Their standing charge on an old bill I just found was 11.4p a day! Bonkers how much it is now (43p in my case) but I understand why its gone up so much.

The only way Jack Greys standing charge is going up that much next week is if an old fixed rate is ending, assuming he isnt talking rubbish.

My fixed charges with Eon in April as my fixed contract came to an end went up from 7p a day to 48.3 a day and gas from 7 to 27.22p  a day that is over 600% for the electricity and nearly 400% for the gas.  No reason to disbelieve Jack

26 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

My fixed charges with Eon in April as my fixed contract came to an end went up from 7p a day to 48.3 a day and gas from 7 to 27.22p  a day that is over 600% for the electricity and nearly 400% for the gas.  No reason to disbelieve Jack

The standing charges have increased but as stated it can seem a very high increase when you use percentages. In effect all it means is you are now paying an extra £2.89pw extra on the electric account and £1.42pw on the gas account. Granted its still an increase though.

23 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Indeed, mine has more than tripled in a year. 

If anyone is paying less than 40p a day standing charge for electricity currently, they are very lucky.

I need to change mine as my electricity is still on PAYG which is £0.53 per day!

Edited by Dromedary

3 hours ago, Dromedary said:

Which supplier are you with?

Im with EON

My fixed rate deal just ended and they are only offering one variable deal where everything has tripled 

If you go onto any of the comparison sites they are no longer offering any deals.....which is actually illegal 

45 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Im with EON

My fixed rate deal just ended and they are only offering one variable deal where everything has tripled 

If you go onto any of the comparison sites they are no longer offering any deals.....which is actually illegal 

No it isnt illegal whatsoever. 

And yes everyone coming off fixes at the moment is going to get a shock.