Would you wear an ecologically sound mink coat?

Would you wear an environmentally sound mink coat?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would you wear an environmentally sound mink coat?

• Yes please.
    • No thanks.
    • I've no idea. My brain hurts thinking about it!

I would have fallen foul of our 'family friendly' rules as it was basically an animal snuff movie.

In any case, it was a bit off topic as we aren't talking about farmed mink here. The question posed is about mink that are killed as part of a cull for ecological reasons - quite different.

I wouldn't wear wild mink but after reading this I do feel a bit sorry for ratty:

"PLANS to prevent the extinction of the British water vole - forever famous as Rattie in the Wind in the Willows - will fail unless there is a nationwide cull of its most vicious predator, the wild mink, says the Game Conservancy Trust.

However, voles are rarely seen on many Yorkshire Dales waterways, like the rivers Wharfe and Aire or the long loop on the Leeds-Liverpool canal, because the area has a large and active population of wild mink.

Like many of Britain's worst pests, the mink was introduced from North America by fur farmers but thousands were released by animal rights activists from the 1960s onwards. Since then, they have bred like wildfire, preying not only on water voles but on river bank birds like kingfishers, sand martins and many water fowl species.

Although the Game Conservancy welcomes the Inland Waterways initiative, it says the Rattie cannot be saved without a massive cull of mink."

I would have fallen foul of our 'family friendly' rules as it was basically an animal snuff movie.

In any case, it was a bit off topic as we aren't talking about farmed mink here. The question posed is about mink that are killed as part of a cull for ecological reasons - quite different.

Fair enough, if i child somehow clicked on the link it wouldnt be nice!

I was just trying to make people aware of what happened in Fur Farms, especially because there seemed to be a couple of people who didnt care,...i just hoped i would change their views

Thanks,

Sarah

Your well meaning intentions were noted saralorna. It's just that it's obviously a sensitive link on a family site like SF. If anyone wants to see it they can no doubt PM you now. :)

Damn! Foiled by your own rules! :P

If anyone would be interested in seeing the Peta video, then let me know and i will pm the link....

Its not nice but it certainly makes you realise what goes on!

Ecological fur coat is an oxymoron.

"Ecological" means helping the environment though doesn't it, killing the minks will be helping the environment, won't it, so it's an ecological act, isn't it ?

It is a bit silly to say that all people who wear animal fur make you sick. This would mean that all the Inuit people should all buy nylon anoraks and plastic boots instead and be nice to the wildlife.

Why not, the Inuit are pretty stupid for living in such inhospitable climes, they've only been living there 1000 years or so, maybe it's time for them to move south, eat some vegetables and start living beyond 40!

• 3 years later...

Archived