Heat Or Eat?

With prices of everything going up the way they are these days, I guess it won't be long before those of us on very low incomes will be struggling to either heat or eat! There's not much we can do about mounting energy costs - other than live in cold misery by not turning the heating or hot water on - or by sitting- in the dark without even turning the telly on - but we all need to eat and buy household stuff, like bleach, bog-rolls, washing up liquid, etc....and even that is getting harder and harder to do. Prices have rocketed, even in cheap supermarkets like Aldi & Lidl. I've accepted being able to live without heating or much hot water..  I think I'm  pretty good at buying food and household stuff  cheaply & I'm good at  cooking & eating cheaply and nutritionally - but it's a pretty miserable way to have to live.

As good as I think I am at living on the cheap, I'm sure I could benefit from the tips and advice of other people on this forum. Maybe we should start sharing our ideas for living on the cheap - or share our recipes for cheap, nutritional meals 

Youtube/tv are full of advice (much of it wrong or obvious)

I think you'd have to post some specifics about your situation for anyone to post something useful to you, ie what you spend on what, how much energy you use etc.

Staying away from the expensive supermarkets is an obvious one, which many seem to ignore. If money is tight, stick to ones beginning with A or L.

No branded products. No takeaways.

Filter coffee normally works out cheaper than instant, and tastes better.

Paying power bills by direct debit is normally cheaper than the alternatives

Double up quilts, and use a hot water bottle if cold.

Use eco settings on the tv's, or turn the backlight down.

If you're using anything over 3.5 units of electricity per day in summer, there's probably some savings to be made.

Edited by fools

I've been preparing for this for a good long while now. A few years maybe.

We've been putting extra shopping away in our store room every week and been stocking up on gas, wood, coal too.

We've bought other stuff like thicker curtains, draught excluders,  candles, torches, wind up radios, power banks, thicker clothes, socks, warm throws, mini gas stoves, mini gas heaters.. 

I reckon we could easily survive without leaving the house for around 3 to 4 months (not that well have to stay in that long, just using it as an example to show how well stocked we are).

Now, I realise this will leave me open to cries of "You conspiracy nut etc" but I don't care one bit.

We will be warm, fed and happy this winter no matter how cold it gets.

28 minutes ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

As good as I think I am at living on the cheap, I'm sure I could benefit from the tips and advice of other people on this forum. Maybe we should start sharing our ideas for living on the cheap - or share our recipes for cheap, nutritional meals 

My top tip..

Slow cooker. Throw anything in and walk away. Go back later and yum yum.

Also, find a Joblot.  You can get some insane bargains in those places..

11 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

My hobs electric 😪

We've been here before haven't we?

It's powered by the same electricity as the hob, depending on the meal a microwave may be cheaper, but gas hob (if you have one) beats all other options in most cases -- warming up a tin of soup is about 0.75pence.

Edited by fools

Just now, fools said:

We've been here before haven't we?

It's powered by the same electricity as the hob, depending on the meal a microwave may be cheaper, but gas hob (if you have one) beats all other options in most cases.

Unfortunately I'm stuck with an electric hob 

I'd prefer gas but it's not to be.

2 minutes ago, West 77 said:

God Bless The Benefits System.

Excuse me?

That's rather rude don't you think?

Porridge is a really filling and cheap meal, just add boiling water the night before you need it.

When I was younger, cheap food was what I ate. But your health is important, I no longer skimp on food.

If you cannot afford better food, cut your neighbors lawns and hedges.