The Stigma Of Being On Benefits

Guest makapaka
58 minutes ago, Martin C said:

Provided that people on benefits don't drink (a luxury I choose to over-indulge in at my own expense), smoke (urgh) or have top of the range smartphones (guilty)/ oversized TVs (not guilty) then of course benefits are absolutely essential and should not be cut.

Christ. 

29 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Spouting rubbish is the fabric of democracy

There is no such thing as fake news

Speak your truth and then move on 

Anything else is fascism  

Wow - mask slipped a bit there me old *scary*

7 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

One thing has nothing to do with the other

We're talking about benefits cheats not tax evasion/avoidance

Why do you always try and divert the subject matter? 🤷‍♂️

hey-look-up-there-sandra-bloom.gif

They do, you know.

Benefit cheats and tax evaders both cheat the exchequer of money. That affects our tax rates and our public services.

I don’t like either.

6 hours ago, fools said:

8 million households are getting upto £1200 towards it

Households earning plenty of money, still getting child benefit. Wealthy pensioners still getting winter fuel allowance. 

They would be sensible and easy cuts to make.

47 minutes ago, sibon said:

Households earning plenty of money, still getting child benefit. Wealthy pensioners still getting winter fuel allowance. 

They would be sensible and easy cuts to make.

I’m obviously very naive, I imagined that all benefits claimants would have been subjected to scrutiny.

Edited by crookesey

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

I’m obviously very naive, I imagined that all benefits claimants would have had been subject to scrutiny.

Child benefit is universal. You only need a kid to qualify. ETA. Those earning over £60k rather strangely pay it back through the tax system.

I thought that the WFA was the same, but I’m sure that someone will be able to correct me if I’m wrong.

Edited by sibon

People should remember that everybody pay taxes nearly all the time from the cradle to the grave in the form of VAT at 20% and most will also pay Income Tax at 20% all their working and pensionable age. 

Rather than 'means testing' for eligibility the Government taxes many 'benefits'.

For example:

The State Pension is counted as taxable income.

As are  Carer's Allowance, Jobseeker's Allowance and Widowed Parent' Allowance, contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Incapacity Benefit amongst others.

You may have to pay back some of your Child Benefit in tax if your (or your partner’s) individual income is over £50,000.

Winter Fuel Allowance is a non-taxable benefit.

Full list of  tax free and taxable state benefits here

1 minute ago, Annie Bynnol said:

People should remember that everybody pay taxes nearly all the time from the cradle to the grave in the form of VAT at 20% and most will also pay Income Tax at 20% all their working and pensionable age. 

Rather than 'means testing' for eligibility the Government taxes many 'benefits'.

For example:

The State Pension is counted as taxable income.

As are  Carer's Allowance, Jobseeker's Allowance and Widowed Parent' Allowance, contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Incapacity Benefit amongst others.

You may have to pay back some of your Child Benefit in tax if your (or your partner’s) individual income is over £50,000.

Winter Fuel Allowance is a non-taxable benefit.

Full list of  tax free and taxable state benefits here

Things like winter fuel allowance, TV License and even a free bus pass should be means tested.

It shouldn't be free because of age

13 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Its why so many people want to come here

Arrive, get pregnant and you go to the top of every queue

Its like discovering a pot of gold

It must be at least 50 years since this myth started- it was easily disproved then and it is even easier now.