The Stigma Of Being On Benefits

7 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

All that is swallowed up by the NHS in later life

But older people will not be using the education system as they and their children will be past that stage.

Swings and roundabouts.

As you mention the N.H.S. I think the position where those who have saved and been careful with their finances are penalised if they need social care in later life.  Those without property or funds are provided with it for free. This is the subject which needs addressing but no political party will equalise things.  Money can be found from tax payers contributions for other things but having a fair system in place for our own older people does not appear to be a priority..  I think it could be an election winner for the Labour Party if they put it in their manifesto.

28 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

They were giving winter fuel allowance to pensioners who were living in places like Australia and Benidorm

Alan Sugar is entitled to a free bus pass

Free bus passes.

Do you really think wealthy people actually use the buses ?

All my life I've been a diligent saver, so much so I've saved myself out of all benefits apart from my basic state pension.

Now it's satisfying to know that I can buy a car, tv, fridge, holiday etc without having to borrow, but with hindsight should I have spent more and kept savings to a level in order to claim benefits? Or should I now spend nearly all of it which would result in a substantial increase in income, cheaper dental bills, council tax relief etc etc?

18 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Probably not but they definitely use the trains 

They also get a rail card

The use of bus passes on trains has been stopped.

I do not know anything about the rail card.

1 minute ago, carosio said:

All my life I've been a diligent saver, so much so I've saved myself out of all benefits apart from my basic state pension.

Now it's satisfying to know that I can buy a car, tv, fridge, holiday etc without having to borrow, but with hindsight should I have spent more and kept savings to a level in order to claim benefits? Or should I now spend nearly all of it which would result in a substantial increase in income, cheaper dental bills, council tax relief etc etc?

I was always taught to put something away for a rainy day.

Always pay your way in life.

Always work and pay your taxes.

Someone said jokingly to me many years ago that it should be an ambition to reach retirement age with no savings, to live in a council house and involve yourself on the state benefit scheme. I laughed at the time but now I wonder.

1 hour ago, Jack Grey said:

They were giving winter fuel allowance to pensioners who were living in places like Australia and Benidorm

Alan Sugar is entitled to a free bus pass

And Mick Jagger 

Or GIRO 😁

What’s green and white and gets you drunk? 😀

Probably not but they definitely use the trains 

They also get a rail card

I think it's just a discount card, like you can get a family discount card, a few years ago they were £30, they are for frequent users.

7 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

They should pay benefits in vouchers that can be used in supermarkets and energy companies

It cannot be exchanged for cigarettes, alcohol, tattoos or iPhones

Other than energy companies you would be putting the area of responsibility in the hands of shop assistants, not in my book Jack.