The Stigma Of Being On Benefits

2 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

Probably not but they definitely use the trains 

They also get a rail card

'They' do not get a Railcard.

Most people in their 60's are not entitled to a bus pass  in England.

There are various Railcards (inc.over 60's)and usually cost £30 a year(£70  for three), have limitations and are purely commercial ie costing you nothing.

A South Yorkshire issued OP ENCTS pass does allow 50% off local trains.

There are also a range of Disabled National and ENCTS passes.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

16 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Why is there one?

Sure there is a hard-core minority who abuse the system, deliberately staying on benefits longer than they should, claiming more than they should, outright lying when making a claim but I'd wager they are only a tiny fraction of claimants. Im sure most people hate being on them and want nothing more than to work, be productive and contribute to society. 

So why is there a stigma around claiming benefits? 

Royal family have been on them for hundreds of years 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Leo Tomlinson said:

Royal family have been on them for hundreds of years 

They produce so many kids that my late grandfather’s little quip comes to mind. 
They sleep with each other all year round and share the kids out at Christmas.

I would agree that it's unfair to stigmatise all people on benefits. I do believe that most  benefits recipients are absolutely genuine and it's right and proper that people who are disabled, caring for disabled relatives etc, should be supported.

the only benefits claimants I have problem with are the minority who are perfectly fit and healthy enough to work but choose not to, because living on benefits allows them to live as well as - sometimes better than - people who work in minimum-wage type jobs. I don't really resent the individuals who choose  this option. Why work - if you can get an equal lifestyle on benefits? I blame "the system" that allows this to happen. 

I think the best way to reduce the stigmatisation on genuine claimants  would be to properly and fairly assess  everyone on JSA/ESA. If they are found to be fit & well enough to work, then find them a job. If they refuse to accept that job - then cut their benefits. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

I may be wrong but think that in the 1960s you were offered 3 jobs by the labour exchange and if you refused them your dole money was stopped.

Something like that would be a good start Harvey - but I stress that I think it should only be applied to people who have been properly assessed as being fit and well enough to work. 

4 hours ago, El Cid said:

The average single pensioner has an income of £246 per week, so most are not poor. They are more likely to own assets, like their own house.

Perhaps if they have a private pension as well, but the basic single pension is £141.85, knock off council tax and they arent exactly living the high life.

• Like 1