Universal Credit Success Or Failure

I'm on it. Have been for four years. I didn't get a choice, automatically put on it,  and I don't know any difference from other benefits. The money goes in on the day it's supposed to. Never any problems, never late. They (DWP) never bother me, haven't done in four years. I suppose they're there if I need them. Not going into politics as to is it enough. Money goes in, it gets spent to the nearest 10 pence sometimes, it goes in again. No problems, a success from me. 

1 hour ago, Foot and Mouth said:

I'm on it. Have been for four years. I didn't get a choice, automatically put on it,  and I don't know any difference from other benefits. The money goes in on the day it's supposed to. Never any problems, never late. They (DWP) never bother me, haven't done in four years. I suppose they're there if I need them. Not going into politics as to is it enough. Money goes in, it gets spent to the nearest 10 pence sometimes, it goes in again. No problems, a success from me. 

Under the design of universal credit, new claimants must wait five weeks for their first payment. This means at the point when people are most vulnerable, the system fails to support them and adds to the turbulence of their finances.10 Nov 2020

I believe they changed the rules that you get all the money, rather than the landlord being paid directly.

A problem which many poorer people have is debt, with higher interest rates will make much worse.

Yes, I waited...I was in receipt of SSP at that particular time, and because of my personal circumstances which I'm not going into on here, willing to wait. It'll sort itself out; good Yorkshire saying. I have no landlord. I live alone. Still a success from me, seems you're trying to make a needless point.

I think its good that they combined them but what isnt good is that they pay the rent to the claimant instead of direct to the landlord

Thats setup many with alcohol and drugs dependences to fail

We've seen a huge rise in evictions for non-payment of rent 

Edited by Jack Grey

3 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

I think its good that they combined them but what isnt good is that they pay the rent to the claimant instead of direct to the landlord

Thats setup many with alcohol and drugs dependences to fail

We've seen a huge rise in evictions for non-payment of rent 

You make a good point. The system was meant to teach responsibility for handling finances as would happen in the world of employment. However handing all the cash to people with substance abuse issues was always going to end in disaster.

• Like 1