Microwave Turntable.

pattricia

2 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Yes, I’m still going to replace it but just thought if someone on SF could advise me how to get the turntable working or why it’s stopped turning. I think it would be as expensive to get a repair man in than to buy a new one. Atkinson’s have got some nice ones in but it’s £20 delivery charge. I may get one from Amazon but would still have to pay delivery charges but not as much.I do miss John Lewis as you could inspect things first.

To be honest, at 10 years old the oven needs replacing - apart from the turntable issue, microwave leakage could be a problem - which you don't need!

33 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

There are are risks involved when a turntable is removed or is not working

The turntable acts as a safety device to prevent overheating and damage and cracking to utensils.

Unevenly heated liquids and fillings can suddenly 'explode'.

Decades ago at Millmoor one of the catering staff removed a turntable in order to fit more pies into the microwave. The uneven heat resulted in the Pasty squirting out boiling gravy causing quite a severe burn on my hand. At the time Rotherham were awarded the 3 Div Best Pie Award by The Guardian-I think.

Annie my turntable does make a loud cracking sound when food has been in for a certain amount of time. You’ve made me decide to definitely buy a new one now. Thank you!

1 minute ago, Padders said:

Jump in the car and fetch it yourself,

All the major stores have them...

No way would I pay £20.

Trouble is there are no major stores left now in Sheffield except for Atkinsons. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, *Wallace* said:

Could be the motor in there Pat like you say it still cooks and you can turn things mid cook. Does the spindle the glass turntable sits on turn when you try it with fingers or is it stuck solid ? Maybe worth taking the glass out of it and giving the machine a good jiggle you’ve nothing to lose.

Don’t know whether the spindle turns as never tried it. May try what you advise and give it a good jiggle. I unplugged it yesterday, then plugged it in again,   but made no difference. It’s had a good run at 10 years lol !

3 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Annie my turntable does make a loud cracking sound when food has been in for a certain amount of time. You’ve made me decide to definitely buy a new one now. Thank you!

Trouble is there are no major stores left now in Sheffield except for Atkinsons. 

Pat, have a look in Atkinsons (and Currys), see if there is one you like, and then see if you can find it on Amazon - large/expensive items such as a microwaves are usually 'free delivery' if you choose not to want them 'today' and select another option, there are usually a couple.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Pat, have a look in Atkinsons (and Currys), see if there is one you like, and then see if you can find it on Amazon - large/expensive items such as a microwaves are usually 'free delivery' if you choose not to want them 'today' and select another option, there are usually a couple.

Never thought about Curry’s. Is there one still down Attercliffe?  

21 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Tesco, Asda, Home Bargains, Morrisons all have reasonable priced ones.