Slavery Reparations

I keep hearing people calling for reparations to be paid to descendants of slaves. They speak very passionately about the subject and to be honest, I get it. I for one feel paying reparations is the right thing to do but how far do we go back?

200 years?

400 years?

1000 years?

Just how far is too far and who should be paying and to whom? 

It's not really practical to delve back into the past on a personal level. All nations have indulged in slavery back in history, along with many things we wouldn't allow now.

Modern slavery and trafficking is a different matter, it's highly illegal and should certainly involve court cases and reparations.

• Like 2

Slavery reparations.  Load of rubbish.  Simply applying modern conventions to ancient times.  Go back to those years when the UK was most heavily involved in slavery, your average Britain was also probably living in similar penury conditions conditions or such with their families in the Workhouse with no hope. 

Anyway, don't ask me to contribute.  I'm a first generation Englishman, (but proud Yorkshireman), being the product of Irish / Scottish parents.  

Edited by Baron99
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

If the slaves had not been taken out of Africa that would mean that their descendants now would be living in some war , drought and hunger ridden place.

I suspect that not many black Americans have gone back to live in Africa

Most have never even been there on holiday 

Edited by Jack Grey
  • Like 1