Discord. Can Anyone Answer This Please?

19 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Right, Discord isn't my thing so I know very little about it.

Here's the dilemma.

I've just had a very tearful daughter come to me and say she has left a group on Discord.

It's these 4 guys she watched and they just chat, tell jokes, have a laugh and she loved them.

Anyway, during a Discord thingy she said Hello (pinged) to one of these guys and her account was immediately silenced for a time.

She thought it must have been a mistake and thought nothing more of it.

Well it's now happened twice more and so she left the group. 

No biggie, I accept that.

However she had a paid subscription and bought a lot of their merchandise as she Is a big fan which is why she is so upset.

So I'm asking, is this Normal on Discord?

Getting restricted just for saying HI to the guys she PAYS for the privilege of watching?

Seems absolutely crazy to me or am I just out of touch?

(for clarity, I checked her account and yes, she was restricted for saying Hi)

Ive tried discord, i dont like discord, it seems to be a more modern "crapper" version of IRC that i was on for years. when you said she said hello to one of the guys was it in the channel? or in a private message? private messages that arent asked for might be banned?

1 hour ago, fools said:

Sounds like someone on a power trip.

You used to get a similar treatment here, suspended for no reason, without explanation.

I always got a reason, i still have reasons in my profile.

1 minute ago, melthebell said:

Ive tried discord, i dont like discord, it seems to be a more modern "crapper" version of IRC that i was on for years. when you said she said hello to one of the guys was it in the channel? or in a private message? private messages that arent asked for might be banned?

It was on the channel. She'd been chatting to a few other people then one of the guys appeared, she said Hi and she was almost instantly 'muted' I think it's called.

Using her account I approached a mod and asked the reason for the restrictions and the mods reply was abrupt and quite rude.

She's now ended her subscription (although she really didn't want to) and cancelled her merchandise order.

As an aside I do want to say how proud I am of her for ending her subscription and canceling her order. She loved watching these people but said she won't be treated like that. 

Just now, The_DADDY said:

It was on the channel. She'd been chatting to a few other people then one of the guys appeared, she said Hi and she was almost instantly 'muted' I think it's called.

Using her account I approached a mod and asked the reason for the restrictions and the mods reply was abrupt and quite rude.

She's now ended her subscription (although she really didn't want to) and cancelled her merchandise order.

As an aside I do want to say how proud I am of her for ending her subscription and canceling her order. She loved watching these people but said she won't be treated like that. 

yeah if its how it sounds, its not great and you shouldnt be treated like that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Try and keep kids offline . Some of it is bad enough for adults 

I agree.

Just now, melthebell said:

yeah if its how it sounds, its not great and you shouldnt be treated like that.

100% agree 👍 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, melthebell said:

I still have reasons in my profile.

You were lucky then.

You only have to look at the banners, still present in various threads, to see what some of them thought of us.

As for discord and the like, it may be a lickspittle fan who's been mugged off to do the admin, while the grifters coin it in on subscriptions, Patreon, and merchandise.

Edited by fools

It seems like a good lesson to be learning; don't invest your time and energy in caustic / hostile people. I sometimes get the impression, it's the people who are loud and sometimes quite popular, who are in fact, the most unpleasant of characters, esp. with young people.

There's a lot to be said for being more discerning, and to get a deeper better sense of people, before allowing yourself to be more vulnerable with them.

That's my take at least, for what it's worth.

Also, you have to consider, the more you invest your time and energy in worthless people, the less you are investing it in more worthy ones.

Edited by Waldo
  • Like 1