Qatar World Cup 2022

Jack Grey

3 hours ago, ukdobby said:

Maybe we’re not as good as we think we are.

Looking back at the football history books, we had a great opportunity in 1970 but we're knocked out in the QF from a position of being 2 - 0 up with about 20 mins to go, eventually loosing 3 - 2 to W. Germany. 

We had a great opportunity in 1990 & failed again.  2002 we had the 'Golden Generation', failed again & even though basis of this squad were kept together & were supposedly some of the world's greatest players, they kept failing. 

Now we have a new generation who have have now failed twice, (3 times if you consider the pointless Nations' League or whatever its called?), in the space of 18 months. 

Let's see where we are in 18 months at Euro 2024?  We go on about not winning the WC but you'd have thought we would have won at least 1 Euro by now.   Of course if we are to win Euro 2024, we'll have to do it in the German's backyard. 

As you say, maybe we're not as good as we think we are?  Nor are our £250,000+ a week players? 

Edited by Baron99

1 hour ago, m williamson said:

Some ( not all ) England supporters have an attitude which doesn't help.

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-12-13/company-gutted-after-pre-releasing-18000-england-world-cup-winner-shirts

What's that saying about pride coming before something?

This happens all the time. The Third World is awash with jumpers and t-shirts proclaiming things like "Buffalo Bills Superbowl XXV Winners", because teams get merch printed up in advance, so they ship them all off for charities to redistribute.

(Buffalo still havent won a Super Bowl, btw)

Same with open top buses (Liverpool lost a final one year and then on social media up popped the bus all signed up for the parade that never happened).

Hardly a phenomenon contained to fans of the England national mens football team.

5 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

This happens all the time. The Third World is awash with jumpers and t-shirts proclaiming things like "Buffalo Bills Superbowl XXV Winners", because teams get merch printed up in advance, so they ship them all off for charities to redistribute.

(Buffalo still havent won a Super Bowl, btw)

Same with open top buses (Liverpool lost a final one year and then on social media up popped the bus all signed up for the parade that never happened).

Hardly a phenomenon contained to fans of the England national mens football team.

My point was that a number of English supporters ( not all but too many in my opinion ) have a tendency to start bigging themselves up during the lead up to every major tournament despite all the evidence suggesting that they should take a chill pill.

I was on holiday in Italy during the first couple of weeks of the 2006 World Cup. The difference in attitude between the Itallian fans and English fans in similar circumstances was marked. I couldn't find any of them that gave their team much of a chance.

Obviously that's a generalisation,  I'm sure that before any tournament  there are downbeat English fans and cocky Italian fans but the contrast struck me at the time.

Unfortunately we flew home from Italy a couple of days before they won the final. I'd imagine that altered their attitude!🏆 😀 

Guest ThaBoom

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/12770567/gareth-southgate-to-remain-england-manager-football-association-confirms

So, FA are delighted he's staying on having evaluated the last few tournaments. 

Semi Final

Final

Last eight

Only won 4 times in 24 games against top ranked teams.

But, ready for another tournament failure in 2024 👏 

Guest ThaBoom
34 minutes ago, ukdobby said:

Best final ever.

Agree and best hosts ever.

No fighting,  no drunken scuffles because of alcohol ban,  welcoming country.

Well done Qatar.