Strictly Come Dancing.

pattricia

Yes,  we didn't think anything of it at the time,   but as the Loc was full of 15/16 year olds  it makes me wonder,  then again it could have been his usual stopping point for cigs.  on the main road from Manchester.

We were all on our way home from night school.

Edited by cressida

30 minutes ago, cressida said:

Yes,  we didn't think anything of it at the time,   but as the Loc was full of 15/16 year olds  it makes me wonder,  then again it could have been his usual stopping point for cigs.  on the main road from Manchester.

We were all on our way home from night school.

How interesting! 

On 10/10/2022 at 20:00, cuttsie said:

Love to see two chaps dancing , Although I often can not figure out who is taking the lasses part 

Two lasses often danced at the Lacarno , but it was so us latharios could go and split them up , Smashing it was when it was the last dance ," can I tec thi home love "   was the chat up line .

Hi Cuttsie,

I had my fill of blokes dancing together in the '60s in Barleycorn on Cambridge Street. Sorry it's not for me and never has been.

Like many 'baby boomers' my mates and I enjoyed many a good night at Mecca's Locarno.

I don't remember the building in its original guise as the Landsdowne Cinema because it closed in 1940 during the Blitz but I recall being taken there by my Mum shopping in '47 when it was a temporary Marks and Spencers' store. I always thought it was a funny place due to its sloping floor! But cinemas have sloping floors don't they.

Many's the time Mum and I would walk down from Hobart Street where my Grandma lived to shop at the S&E Coop and Marks before catching a tram up the bustling Moor to the old market hall and rag and tag market in Dixon Lane. The journey littered with the remnants of war, Atkinsons, the Central Picture House, Burtons, C&A Modes and the tragic Marples Hotel where i believe 70 souls were lost in a direct strike. All bomb sites.

Then in the '50s things improved and Mecca bought the Landsdowne and turned into the Locarno Dance Hall complete with a big band which is what many of us oldies fondly look back on.

Times, music and fashions changed and in the '60s I was walking on Boston Street passed the place when I spied through an open door some workmen with palm trees.  What are they doing I asked myself? Making a second botanical garden?

The answer was, of course, Tiffany's nightclub and another venue to frequent.

So, like many others, I remember that place fondly as an M&S, as the Locarno and as Tiffanys before getting married and leaving Sheffield for ever as a place to live.

echo.

10 hours ago, echo beach said:

Hi Cuttsie,

I had my fill of blokes dancing together in the '60s in Barleycorn on Cambridge Street. Sorry it's not for me and never has been.

Like many 'baby boomers' my mates and I enjoyed many a good night at Mecca's Locarno.

I don't remember the building in its original guise as the Landsdowne Cinema because it closed in 1940 during the Blitz but I recall being taken there by my Mum shopping in '47 when it was a temporary Marks and Spencers' store. I always thought it was a funny place due to its sloping floor! But cinemas have sloping floors don't they.

Many's the time Mum and I would walk down from Hobart Street where my Grandma lived to shop at the S&E Coop and Marks before catching a tram up the bustling Moor to the old market hall and rag and tag market in Dixon Lane. The journey littered with the remnants of war, Atkinsons, the Central Picture House, Burtons, C&A Modes and the tragic Marples Hotel where i believe 70 souls were lost in a direct strike. All bomb sites.

Then in the '50s things improved and Mecca bought the Landsdowne and turned into the Locarno Dance Hall complete with a big band which is what many of us oldies fondly look back on.

Times, music and fashions changed and in the '60s I was walking on Boston Street passed the place when I spied through an open door some workmen with palm trees.  What are they doing I asked myself? Making a second botanical garden?

So, like many others, I remember that place fondly as an M&S, as the Locarno and as Tiffanys before getting married and leaving Sheffield for ever as a place to live.

echo.

Seen a few idiots end up in the fountain in Tiffanys, :hihi:

15 hours ago, echo beach said:

Hi Cuttsie,

echo.

I used to go to The Locarno on a Sunday night in the 1960s.

One night they would not let us in because my mate had long hair so we went to the gents toilets up the Moor where he wet his hair, put on plenty of Brylcream from the machine and flattened down his hair.

Went back to the Locarno and were allowed in !

Talking to a  girl there one night and she agreed to write to me as I was in the army then in 1968. We both married and had families later but we  are still friends 54 years later.

Happy days.

2 hours ago, harvey19 said:

I used to go to The Locarno on a Sunday night in the 1960s.

One night they would not let us in because my mate had long hair so we went to the gents toilets up the Moor where he wet his hair, put on plenty of Brylcream from the machine and flattened down his hair.

Went back to the Locarno and were allowed in !

Talking to a  girl there one night and she agreed to write to me as I was in the army then in 1968. We both married and had families later but we  are still friends 54 years later.

Happy days.

I've had a similar experience to you Harvey only mine was at the Sheffield Uni Students Union, not the Locarno.

Met two girls on different occasions in the '60s. After a time the first one left Sheffield for teacher training college and we drifted apart. The second one was training to be a nurse and we even became engaged until the relationship came to an abrupt end. A few months later I met my wife, we married, had a family and the rest is history as they say.

Anyway, I met the first two girls again on Friends Reunited about 15 years ago and we've been corresponding by email ever since.

Pleased to say both are happily married, one for a third time, but it's good to keep in touch and reminisce about the good times in the past and how life's treated us all over the years since then.

echo.