Making A Smoker.

You know, to smoke meat, fish, etc.

I've got a sturdy metal cabinet I'm planning to use to smoke my own stuff over the colder weather.

It's a large two door cabinet with ample room to hang a few items and a bit at the bottom to put the charcoal in.

Any tips or advice on what to try 1st?

Anything I should avoid?

Any general do's and don't?

Any help wilgrateful gratefully received 🙏 

9 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I've got a sturdy metal cabinet I'm planning to use to smoke my own stuff over the colder weather.

It's a large two door cabinet with ample room to hang a few items and a bit at the bottom to put the charcoal in.

Anything I should avoid?

Drop us a couple of Kippers of please Daddio.

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

Anything I should avoid?

I feel sorry for your neighbours 😬 

22 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Anything I should avoid?

Avoid cheap charcoal which is easy to start as they may be coated with fire lighter.

No softwood or softwood turnings,

Really dry hardwood wood, kept indoors. Forage for apple, beech, chestnut

Start asking your pals to keep the discarded nut shells.

Be careful with the meths!

When you first fire up the smoker you will get some odd smells which will gradually disappear with use.

Fatty meats and sugary marinades will drip and burn and spoil any delicate flavour.

Bland chicken and pork give better results than beef* which in my opinion is never improved on in the UK by BBQ or smokers.

Big chunky fish like cod absorb the flavours and cook quickly in hot dry air and give fantastic results. You can get similar results using the oven.

As you oven 'cools' put in bacon bits and off-cuts do really well as can cheap nasty ham. Grotty root vegetables for soup. Cooked lentils....and other things for soups and stews.

Unfortunately I found that I was smoking everything that moved and everything began to smell ( the neighbours complained that their cat was barbeque flavour). It was good fun for a while and great just to try different things-enjoy.

*The fashion for beef cuts supplied in the UK is for younger, different cuts, smaller and more tender. Same for lamb. Older and  bigger cow meat and mutton respond far better. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Avoid cheap charcoal which is easy to start as they may be coated with fire lighter.

When you first fire up the smoker you will get some odd smells which will gradually disappear with use.

Fatty meats and sugary marinades will drip and burn and spoil any delicate flavour.

Bland chicken and pork give better results than beef* which in my opinion is never improved on in the UK by BBQ or smokers.

Big chunky fish like cod absorb the flavours and cook quickly in hot dry air and give fantastic results. You can get similar results using the oven.

As you oven 'cools' put in bacon bits and off-cuts do really well as can cheap nasty ham. Grotty root vegetables for soup. Cooked lentils....and other things for soups and stews.

Unfortunately I found that I was smoking everything that moved and everything began to smell ( the neighbours complained that their cat was barbeque flavour). It was good fun for a while and great just to try different things-enjoy.

*The fashion for beef cuts supplied in the UK is for younger, different cuts, smaller and more tender. Same for lamb. Older and  bigger cow meat and mutton respond far better. 

Hmmm... :huh:

I'm thinking that particular piece of advice may be a little too late! ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Brilliant post. Thank you for that Annie Bynnol that's very helpful of you 🙏