Nhs Prescriptions

How long have they been charging for each individual item on a NHS prescription? Just have a right shock, 3 items, almost 39 quid. 

1 minute ago, Waldo said:

How long have they been charging for each individual item on a NHS prescription? Just have a right shock, 3 items, almost 39 quid. 

New posts within a short time frame are limited. Please wait 15 seconds before submitting.

No thanks. Tried to edit the OP, but forum s/w doesn’t like me, and I’m all out of F’s.

Why didnt you just buy a 3 month "season ticket" there and then? Would have cost less than the 3 items (£30.25) and you would have had another 13 weeks or so of use on it.

Sloppy.

Anyway, saying all that, its currently £9.35 so no idea how you are multiplying that by 3 and coming out with nearly £39.

Edited by HeHasRisen

37 minutes ago, Waldo said:

How long have they been charging for each individual item on a NHS prescription?

As long as I've known it's a charge per item! I get a yearly pre-payment card which is £108 and is a lifesaver if you need quite a few things on repeat all the time. 

Edit just googled and:  In 1956 the rules were changed so that a charge applied to each item prescribed. 

6 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I tried editing the OP, as I said, but it wouldn’t let me.

Sloppy?

Thanks! Guess I was not on my A game after a 1.5 hour tooth extraction. 

Ok, tell us what the ACTUAL cost was because as I said, 3 items at 39 quid doesnt seem right 

Just now, SFBeca said:

As long as I've known it's a charge per item! I get a yearly pre-payment card which is £108 and is a lifesaver if you need quite a few things on repeat all the time. 

Edit just googled and:  In 1956 the rules were changed so that a charge applied to each item prescribed. 

Thanks Becca.

Wow that long ago?  Thought it was a recent thing, and that it was a flat charge for multiple items.

Im low waged, do probably should get some kind of exemption.

33 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Thanks Becca.

Wow that long ago?  Thought it was a recent thing, and that it was a flat charge for multiple items.

Im low waged, do probably should get some kind of exemption.

I remember when worked at a pharmacy on Saturdays when I was a teenager and it definitely a separate fee for each item then! (Not 1956, didn't realise it would have been that long ago!) 

For sure look into exemptions or the pre-paid card if you are needing prescriptions often, or it does get very expensive! 

Also not sure if people know, but you can pay monthly £10 for your pre-paid card, so don't have to pay it all up front if easier 

I've got a complaint in the works at the moment. 

Went to docs. 2 items on script. Goes and collects it, pay nearly 19 quid. 

An hour afterwards the doc calls, she reviewed my notes and decided that I need to increase the dosage of one of the 2 items. 

I had to then pay AGAIN for the new script. 

My complaint is on the basis that a NHS employee made an error and caused financial loss. 

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

New posts within a short time frame are limited. Please wait 15 seconds before submitting.

No thanks. Tried to edit the OP, but forum s/w doesn’t like me, and I’m all out of F’s.

£39 is probably a fraction of what it costs the NHS to buy those drugs