Nhs Prescriptions

4 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

£39 is probably a fraction of what it costs the NHS to buy those drugs

The NHS is seen as a cash cow by the Pharmaceutical companies.

It pays way over the odds for stuff, (particularly for stuff you can buy over the counter like Paracetamol.)

It's also locked itself into contracts that charge a penalty if they're broken. Don't know who arranged all this but it stinks.

They are the biggest employer and the biggest buyer in the UK, if they can't use that to their advantage to strike the best deals I don't know who can...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

It pays way over the odds for stuff, (particularly for stuff you can buy over the counter like Paracetamol.)

Paracetamol is no longer prescribed by the NHS because as you say it's cheap anyway.

4 hours ago, Anna B said:

It's also locked itself into contracts that charge a penalty if they're broken. Don't know who arranged all this but it stinks.

They are the biggest employer and the biggest buyer in the UK, if they can't use that to their advantage to strike the best deals I don't know who can...

Imagine they got a nice kick back for making the arrangement! I’m alright Jack UK…

4 hours ago, Anna B said:

I can't find the article right now but I remember a report stating that the NHS wastes money through overpaying for goods/services to the tune of nearly £8 BILLION a year (average 2013-2018) based on retail costs. The report also stated that the buying power the NHS would have, given the volumes it would be ordering, would probably save near £11 billion a year if it were allowed to by on the open market. To put that  all in perspective, the NHS budget, prepandemic, was £114 billion. 

It's own managment that has locked Trusts into lucrative contracts (for the suppliers). No doubt there are some off-shore accounts with large sums in them for those contracts. 

1 hour ago, Resident said:

I can't find the article right now but I remember a report stating that the NHS wastes money through overpaying for goods/services to the tune of nearly £8 BILLION a year (average 2013-2018) based on retail costs. The report also stated that the buying power the NHS would have, given the volumes it would be ordering, would probably save near £11 billion a year if it were allowed to by on the open market. To put that  all in perspective, the NHS budget, prepandemic, was £114 billion. 

It's own managment that has locked Trusts into lucrative contracts (for the suppliers). No doubt there are some off-shore accounts with large sums in them for those contracts. 

Someone told me that you could break the NHS £200bn a year budget into three sections....

One third is wages

One third is patient care

One third compensation for people who sue the NHS

Suing the NHS has become a cottage industry for organised crime gangs and greedy lawyers

10 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

Someone told me that you could break the NHS £200bn a year budget into three sections....

One third is wages

One third is patient care

One third compensation for people who sue the NHS

Suing the NHS has become a cottage industry for organised crime gangs and greedy lawyers

I'm in the 3rd bracket at the moment but we have a solid case with several serious failures & evidence of attempts to cover it up leading to the death of my Dad. Although we're not in it for money, we want those responsible to be sacked and never allowed to work in medicine again.