Mot Tests

A Ministry test station that does passenger vehicles, used to be one at Handsworth but no longer I think.

I took a Ford Ka at 12k to a local tester, he failed it on the front radius bushes which I knew were good. When I queried him he looked down at the floor sheepishly and made some excuse. If I hadn't been going away 2 days later I would have booked it in to Handsworth (£53 for them to re-test it then). If they found it ok I think I would have got my initial test fee back.

Next day I had it tested at another garage, he said there was nothing wrong with the bushes.

Edited by carosio
  • Like 1

Corrosion of a ball joint is a bit odd, presumably it's the track rod end (tie rod end) which is out in the elements, usually wear is the issue as its heavier metal and takes a while to rust, perhaps the pressed on cover (would be underneath) has rusted through or the rubber boot has perished (not something you would call corrosion) which if it is still nice and tight and working properly should only be an advisory, needs sorting in near future but not currently affecting safety. To require immediate replacement it would have to be structurally weakened  to the point it could fail, quite possible just a bit rare, if you do get them replaced ask for the old ones back. 

You do tend to find with some of the younger guys as usually employed by the  big nationals, if they see some rust then its no good.
What is a tie rod end, and how do you tell if they are going bad? - Quora
Unless you have a reason to prefer the advice/ opinion of one mech to the other (is the service mech generating theirself some extra work? /  was the mot tester very busy, a mate of the car dealer? - a bit unlikely as track rod ends as are really cheap ( cheap ones, a few pound and easy enough to replace, won't last long but long enough to clear any repercussion on dealer) then as said a third opinion would have to agree with one. More than likely just a difference of opinion, a months extra corroding shouldn't make much difference even in salty winter time let alone mild drought conditions.

36 minutes ago, Arthur Ritus said:

Corrosion of a ball joint is a bit odd, presumably it's the track rod end (tie rod end) which is out in the elements, usually wear is the issue as its heavier metal and takes a while to rust, perhaps the pressed on cover (would be underneath) has rusted through or the rubber boot has perished (not something you would call corrosion) which if it is still nice and tight and working properly should only be an advisory, needs sorting in near future but not currently affecting safety. To require immediate replacement it would have to be structurally weakened  to the point it could fail, quite possible just a bit rare, if you do get them replaced ask for the old ones back. 

You do tend to find with some of the younger guys as usually employed by the  big nationals, if they see some rust then its no good.
What is a tie rod end, and how do you tell if they are going bad? - Quora
Unless you have a reason to prefer the advice/ opinion of one mech to the other (is the service mech generating theirself some extra work? /  was the mot tester very busy, a mate of the car dealer? - a bit unlikely as track rod ends as are really cheap ( cheap ones, a few pound and easy enough to replace, won't last long but long enough to clear any repercussion on dealer) then as said a third opinion would have to agree with one. More than likely just a difference of opinion, a months extra corroding shouldn't make much difference even in salty winter time let alone mild drought conditions.

Thanks for that 

Just seen a post on facebook, a meriva where the track control arm (also has a ball joint) had corroded and given way a month after it's mot which he was criticising the tester for not spotting, thought of your case, perhaps that is what your mechanic meant, should have described it better if so.

Something you would have been amazed at a few years ago, they used to be heavier gauge steel easily outlasting the rest of the bodywork. Now car bodies - sills etc. are lasting longer due to better anti-corrosion treatment, something the running gear doesn't seem to get to the same degree. Also the pressed sheet metal design seems to hold water which especially salty slush stuff will eat unprotected metal in no time.