Xmas lunch, the broadfield abbeydale rd.

Baron99

10 minutes ago, makapaka said:

One thing I would say about the wages justification. 

I’d love to know what they’re paying to some student that warrants charging £80 for a Sunday dinner.😂😂

I would want at least treble time for going in tbh. 

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Or for substantially less than The Broadfield, you can have Xmas lunch at the 4 star, Mercure Hotel in the city centre. 

https://www.christmasvenues.com/party/8086/festive-lunches-at-mercure-sheffield-st-pauls-hotel-and-spa

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with The Broadfield for a drink, (above average range of drink choices for a suburb pub), & the usual foods in line with most pubs prices but anyone who's prepared to fork out £80 for grub in an average pub, good luck to them but I'd say they need to give their head a wobble before putting a deposit down.  I'd definitely want to see an example of what I'd be getting.  There's no photo of the Xmas lunch on the promotional material. 

Dunno if you've ever eaten at the mercure but if not, don't bother.

5 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Dunno if you've ever eaten at the mercure but if not, don't bother.

Indeed, hotel mass catered tripe for a day like Xmas Day. Although i hope he has realised after my post its not £25ph on Xmas Day.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

Reading through some of these comments, there seems to be a lot of people don't have a clue about life in a professional kitchen.

All catering whether it's Sids cafe, gastropub or michelin-starred celebrity restaurant has elements of mass-produced. It has to otherwise service would never happen. Even places that claim something is freshly cooked to order doesn't detract from the amount of pre prepared ready to microwave items which form elements of the dish.  Even the finest hotels in the world catering for a room of millionaires still has elements of pre-prepared ready to throw on a plate. If they didn't, the average function dinner would be taking all day. Just how else do you think these places can cater for 100, 200 people wanting lunch between 12 and 3.

As others have said, It's Christmas Day. There are enhanced staffing costs and overheads that all have to be taken into account. What people are choosing to pay for is the luxury of having all the work done by somebody else. The service, the atmosphere with others. Those who don't want to pay can simply get on with it themselves - just the same any other time that someone chooses to cook from home or eat out in a restaurant.  Yes of course it will be cheaper to buy the ingredients and make it yourself but that's not what people care when they choose to go out.

I really don't get the complaints.

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 1

Went to its sister pub wagon and horses Sunday for lunch,£17 for sirloin,sent it back saying there was no veg on it,she lifted the meat and underneath was a tiny carrot,part of a parsnip and a ribbon of cabbage,along with 2 roast tatties,if I'd have paid £80 for the same thing with Turkey instead of beef I wouldn't have been pleased,count me out Xmas day.

mind you the bit of food we had was nice.