The Nhs Are Critically Short Of Staff, This Is Why (And It's Not The Wages)

The NHS are critically short of staff, and it'll get worse because there are a lot of experienced staff in their 50s who want to retire early, and I do not blame them.

The main reason is not pay, it's because the managers do not know what the Effin' Hell they're doing.

I know a few NHS staff, these reasons are probably common :

1 - A member of staff who works, say, 3.5 days a week still has to go in 4 times a week, not 3 days one week and 4 days the next "because it makes the templates (for appointments) easier".

2 - I know one NHS worker who is desperate to go travelling and has repeatedly asked for a career break, it has been refused every time, so she's leaving.

3 - Whatever the NHS mangers might say NHS workers do not like wearing masks all day, I am not saying it's the main reason NHS staff are leaving in droves but it does not help.

4 - Another part timer I know dislikes working Mondays, but has been told she not only has to work every Monday, she has to work a half day Monday every week FFS ! (see 1). [this really is unbelievable isn't it, but it's true]

5 - I have been told staff have to work at least 2.5 days per week, so staff approaching retirement who want to go down to 2 days pw (esp considering 1 ) are refused, so are more likely to just retire.

I run my own business and employ two people and I cannot believe what I hear.  Most of these complaints wouldn't cost them much, if anything, to resolve ! But they're totally inflexible and they take their staff for granted, they do not deserve to keep any staff at all.

Edited by Chekhov

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

The NHS are critically short of staff, and it'll get worse because there are a lot of experienced staff in their 50s who want to retire early, and I do not blame them.

The main reason is not pay, it's because the managers do not know what the Effin' Hell they're doing.

1 - A member of staff who works, say, 3.5 days a week still has to go in 4 times a week, not 3 days one week and 4 days the next "because it makes the templates (for appointments) easier".

2 - I know one NHS worker who is desperate to go travelling and has repeatedly asked for a career break, it has been refused every time, so she's leaving.

3 - Whatever the NHS mangers might say NHS workers do not like wearing masks all day, I am not saying it's the main reason NHS staff are leaving in droves but it does not help.

4 - Another part timer I know hates working Mondays, but has been told she not only has to work every Monday, she has to work a half day every week FFS ! (see 1).

5 - I have been told staff have to work at least 2.5 days per week, so staff approaching retirement who want to go down to 2 days pw (esp considering 1 ) are refused, so are more likely to just retire.

I run my own business and employ two people and I cannot believe what I hear.  Most of these complaints wouldn't cost them much, if anything, to resolve ! But they're totally inflexible and they take their staff for granted, they do not deserve to keep any staff at all.

4_ Is she a Boomtown Rat ?   :thumbsup:

• Haha 2

Just now, hackey lad said:

4_ Is she a Boomtown Rat ?   :thumbsup:

TBH I actually like going to work, but, for some reason I can never work out, I often feel a bit down on Mondays. So people who might not be as keen as me on work I can understand how they feel !

11 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Now, I’m only guessing here, so please don’t ask for links or graphs to back up my point.  I don’t have any.

It is possible that running a hospital is a more complex operation than running a tv aerial shop with two staff. So your experience might not be entirely transferable to a health care setting.

What do you think?

18 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

4 - Another part timer I know hates working Mondays, but has been told she not only has to work every Monday, she has to work a half day Monday every week FFS ! (see 1). [this really is unbelievable isn't it, but it's true]

Instead of replying to your PM (please don’t do that again) I’ll answer to the best of my knowledge here. 

1 - I work on a ward. We don’t have appointments and most staff work on a rota basis that is released (and then rearranged to suit the staff) quite a long time in advance.

2 - Would many companies be willing to give someone a career break? 

3 - Not one person I know is particularly bothered anymore about wearing masks. We only have to do so in clinical areas and for patient contact now.

4 - If you’re on a rota you can swap/request to not work certain days. Again I’m not sure there’s many companies that would let staff dictate their working days. What if nobody wanted to work Mondays?

5 - Our Ward Clerk works 2 days a week.

Edited by nikki-red

1 minute ago, sibon said:

Now, I’m only guessing here, so please don’t ask for links or graphs to back up my point.  I don’t have any.

It is possible that running a hospital is a more complex operation than running a tv aerial shop with two staff. So your experience might not be entirely transferable to a health care setting.

What do you think?

It's about being flexible to keep your staff happy.

As an example, they could let people who work a half day a week work a full day one week and have the next week's day off, but they do not want to because it makes life  a bit more complicated for the booking staff. For me, if I was the boss, I'd only have to think about that for about 5 seconds.....

1 minute ago, nikki-red said:

Instead of replying to your PM (please don’t do that again) I’ll answer to the best of my knowledge here. 

You can set the ignore function to block PMs from individual users. I have West77 blocked, because he was bothering me. I still choose to see his fascinating posts on the forum though, because they amuse me

4 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

1 - I work on a ward. We don’t have appointments and most staff work on a rota basis that is released (and then rearranged to suit the staff) quite a long time in advance.

2 - Would many companies be willing to give someone a career break? 

3 - Not one person I know is particularly bothered anymore about wearing masks. We only have to do so in clinical areas and for patient contact now.

4 - If you’re on a rota you can swap/request to not work certain days. Again I’m not sure there’s many companies that would let staff dictate their working days. What if nobody wanted to work Mondays?

5 - Our Ward Clerk works 2 days a week.

Put that in your pipe Chekhov 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chekhov said:

It's about being flexible to keep your staff happy.

As an example, they could let people who work a half day a week work a full day one week and have the next week's day off, but they do not want to because it makes life  a bit more complicated for the booking staff. For me, if I was the boss, I'd only have to think about that for about 5 seconds.....

It might be about being flexible if you only have two staff to consider. 

Anyone who has managed large numbers of people will know how tricky that can be. And they would certainly think about it for >5 seconds.

3 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

Dictate is not the work I would use, but you are wrong in your implication. I employ two people and I want to keep them happy because we all get on and I want them to stay.

If nobody wanted to work Mondays : well someone would have to, but if it really was unpopular then book fewer patients in on Mondays and have fewer staff in, It's better than having no staff in because they're all leaving.

• Haha 1