The Nhs Are Critically Short Of Staff, This Is Why (And It's Not The Wages)

17 hours ago, Chekhov said:

The NHS are critically short of staff, and it'll get worse because there are a lot of experienced staff in their 50s who want to retire early, and I do not blame them.

The main reason is not pay, it's because the managers do not know what the Effin' Hell they're doing.

I know a few NHS staff, these reasons are probably common :

I agree with everything you say in your longer post, but too much faulty management is indeed what I see as the main cause.  

That, and lack of cohesive communication between people and departments.

The highly qualified nurses now seem to spend most of their time punching data into computers. Care assistants seem to do most of the hands on caring with the patients. Most of them are wonderful and they're the ones who get to know the patients on a personal level, and get the full picture, but they are not consulted or their opinions sought. Copious notes are taken, but never read.

IMO The basic principles of nursing care/caring have been forgotten. Rest, good food, good sleep and a reassuring presence. The patient's mental attitude is all important and woefully neglected. 

Copious notes are taken, but never read. 

They are short of staff because there are too many penpushers and not enough hands on staff. When I was nursing if we had a spare moment ( which hardly ever happened) we were sent to clean the ward toilets or tidy the linen room.

Today with the American idea of the “ nurses station” staff gather to chat, and visitors have to go up to it to ask if they will attend to their relatives.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, pattricia said:

They are short of staff because there are too many penpushers and not enough hands on staff. When I was nursing if we had a spare moment ( which hardly ever happened) we were sent to clean the ward toilets or tidy the linen room.

Today with the American idea of the “ nurses station” staff gather to chat, and visitors have to go up to it to ask if they will attend to their relatives.

Spot on Patricia, well said. 

23 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Yes indeed. Totally agree with this. The old style nurse seems to have been replaced with undervalued, underpaid care assistants who do the work but have no real say in the care.

15 minutes ago, Meltman said:

Spot on Patricia, well said. 

Thank you Meltman.

10 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Yes indeed. Totally agree with this. The old style nurse seems to have been replaced with undervalued, underpaid care assistants who do the work but have no real say in the care.

Exactly !  Care assistants have always been underpaid.

17 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Thank you Meltman.

Exactly !  Care assistants have always been underpaid.

Yes, they work hard for long hours and do things many other people won't do...

and underpaid. 

19 minutes ago, Meltman said:

Yes, they work hard for long hours and do things many other people won't do...

and underpaid. 

Also the care assistants who go into old or disabled peoples houses to help them to dress, wash ,eat, and take their medication.  I was a geriatric nurse and we were so glad of the help from care nurses ( or auxiliary nurses as they were called) in hospital. Some were coloured ladies from abroad but they were so kind to the old people, holding their hand, hugging them etc; . Because they don’t have a degree they are paid a pittance.