Safely Storing Petrol ⛽️

6 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

No, I doubt he would. Anyway it's outside so my landlord can do one..

*Gary, I know you have an account here, I'm only joking. You're the best landlord ever❤️*

So, you gonna add anything useful or are you just doing your usual thing?

Already said , don’t do it 

Edited by hackey lad

The limit of thirty litres in total in appropriate containers is Government legislation.

It is common, normal practice in many parts of the country particularly in rural areas.

Other considerations are:

House insurance

Leasehold agreements

Tenancy agreements

Access agreements

Local authority HIMO rules

Personal responsibility to ensure safety.

From past experience ventilation and residue from rotting seals and corroding metal are the biggest problem.

Only if you have a large garden with a shed or a garage far away from your house ,or anyone elses house where you can store it in a single metal jerry can.

The biggest military style go up to 20 litres with a  flap top. You must get a compression spout to fit over the top to help reduce splashing.

The plastic vehicle size cans go up to 5 litres which is the limit for carrying in a car.

If you live in a flat, terraced or semi and plan to store it inside then you need your head testing.

10 minutes ago, Findlay said:

Only if you have a large garden with a shed or a garage far away from your house ,or anyone elses house where you can store it in a single metal jerry can.

The biggest military style go up to 20 litres with a  flap top. You must get a compression spout to fit over the top to help reduce splashing.

The plastic vehicle size cans go up to 5 litres which is the limit for carrying in a car.

If you live in a flat, terraced or semi and plan to store it inside then you need your head testing.

Wondering how safe the plastic 5l ones are. If you keep petrol in one for a long period, how would the plastic hold up?

13 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

My freezers manufacturer reckons mines good for around 7 hours.

You're probably right, it probably won't happen, but it could and the generator was free so I thought why the hell not.

Ey, wouldn't it be funny if one night I'm the only one able to post because you've all had power cuts 😁

You'd feel pretty silly then wouldn't ya 😉🤣

Have you thought about making some extra insulation to take that up by a few hours. It’s very unlikely that you’ll lose power for over 12 hours, even in the wilds of Rotherham.

It might be safer and cheaper to buy a big roll of bubble wrap, or some polystyrene to improve the insulation of your freezer.  

Storing petrol isn’t the safest thing. If you must do it, get a proper Jerry can and lock it up in an outhouse.  Check the condition of the can regularly.

7 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

But still on his land though, yes? Have you checked you would be allowed to do so?

Actually that's a good point. I'll ask him 👍

6 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The limit of thirty litres in total in appropriate containers is Government legislation.

It is common, normal practice in many parts of the country particularly in rural areas.

Other considerations are:

House insurance

Leasehold agreements

Tenancy agreements

Access agreements

Local authority HIMO rules

Personal responsibility to ensure safety.

From past experience ventilation and residue from rotting seals and corroding metal are the biggest problem.

My bold.

Crikey... Is that all?

I think I might have over done it a bit then. 

I might need to give this some more thought  

Thanks for the info there Annie 👍