Pocket Money

What's the going rate for children's pocket money these days, for primary and junior school age?

RRP for children's books seems to be around £6.99 - £7.99 (though of course you can take advantage of supermarket/Amazon etc deals).  I think that's rather expensive, especially if the kid is a fan of someone like David Walliams, who seems to churn one out every other week.

Doesnt matter, there wont be money in three years time anyway. Maybe six years. You will just need to point a laser at your children's head and transfer the social credit into their brain.

I mean, it could happen.....

Edited by HeHasRisen

Just now, bassett one said:

give them a fiver that sounds about right these days

I was just looking at Kindle book prices for children's book new releases, and a fiver wouldn't cover it.  Some of them are more expensive than the hard copies.  Very expensive for a kid who wants to work their way through a series.

3 hours ago, Hecate said:

I was just looking at Kindle book prices for children's book new releases, and a fiver wouldn't cover it.  Some of them are more expensive than the hard copies.  Very expensive for a kid who wants to work their way through a series.

I think a fiver is very reasonable. It will encourage them to save up for what they want. These days I think a lot of kids just see something they want and expect to get it straight away. I've always been an avid reader and when I was young i used to save to buy books. It was really exciting when I'd got enough money to buy the new Secret Seven book. Having said that my son's an adult and I've no grandchildren so what do I know? 🤔 

5 hours ago, Rollypolly said:

I think a fiver is very reasonable. It will encourage them to save up for what they want. These days I think a lot of kids just see something they want and expect to get it straight away. I've always been an avid reader and when I was young i used to save to buy books. It was really exciting when I'd got enough money to buy the new Secret Seven book. Having said that my son's an adult and I've no grandchildren so what do I know? 🤔 

I used to get £1 a week (up from 50p!) and remember handing it over at Schofields in exchange for a Famous Five book.  There were 75p, so I had change for some pick and mix too. 

I was just pondering really, thinking that with the price of everything rocketing, cutbacks having to be made, school budgets being tight, and books being so expensive how do parents and teachers ensure that a bookish kid always has a book on hand?  I remember coming back from the local libraries with armfuls of books, but nowadays libraries are closing, cutting back and providing less space for books.

Thanks for the replies :) .

2 minutes ago, Hecate said:

I used to get £1 a week (up from 50p!) and remember handing it over at Schofields in exchange for a Famous Five book.  There were 75p, so I had change for some pick and mix too. 

I was just pondering really, thinking that with the price of everything rocketing, cutbacks having to be made, school budgets being tight, and books being so expensive how do parents and teachers ensure that a bookish kid always has a book on hand?  I remember coming back from the local libraries with armfuls of books, but nowadays libraries are closing, cutting back and providing less space for books.

Thanks for the replies :) .

Yes I agree, books don't seem to be a priority anymore. Do schools have anything like a book swap system these days?

You've made me feel very old Hecate. I got half a crown spending money and pick and mix wasn't even invented. 🤣