Log Burners

52 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Too late matey. All my petrol is likely passing through sheffield about now. 

How would that work then? The Rother discharges into the Don in the centre of Rotherham and then flows in the other direction to Sheffield 😜

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pattricia said:

What do you mean about “ the proper wood” ? 

You should let it properly dry out for 12 months, if I remember correctly.

An old neighbour of mine had a nasty habit of not doing so, and regularly set fire to his chimney because of the soot catching fire.

Apart from that, there's recent concern about fumes from log burners inside properties. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pattricia said:

What do you mean about “ the proper wood” ? 

It normally means "seasoned wood" ie wood that contains less than 20% water - either by drying naturally in warm, well aired, dry conditions eg a barn, or dried in a kiln / oven.

Properly seasoned wood gives off very little smoke so avoiding deposits in the chimney which can lead to chimney fires. It is natural wood from trees recently felled (last year or so), not waste wood eg floorboards, pallets etc which have been chemically treated.

Where we live in the French countryside nearly everyone burns wood - it's plentiful and cheap. £500 will keep our bungalow as warm as toast from now until Easter.

Edited by Longcol

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

How would that work then? The Rother discharges into the Don in the centre of Rotherham and then flows in the other direction to Sheffield 😜

Really?

Never knew that. 

So,according to Mr AlwaysRight currently my petrol will NOT be making its way through Sheffield and I haven't got a clue where it will be.

That's the second time you've corrected me in two days HHR..

If it ok with you I'd like you to proof read and correct any future posts I make.

Go on, you know it makes sense 😁

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bassett one said:

so as i said the gypsys got it right leaving there wood under the hedge row for there following year visit was spot on and that was 100 years ago

It can get very wet under a hedge row - suppose it's OK if you're burning wood in the open but you wouldn't want to do it inside.

17 hours ago, dav1andang1@gma said:

is anybody out there suffering with emissions from log burners its pretty awful out there and getting worse because people are not burning the proper wood anything will do as long as they dont have to buy it i would enjoy some replies cheers davii

Do you mean emissions to the owner of the log burner or to the general public? 

The Guardy really has it in for them:

‘Eco’ wood stoves emit 750 times more pollution than an HGV, study shows

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/oct/09/eco-wood-stoves-emit-pollution-hgv-ecodesign

Wood burners cause nearly half of urban air pollution cancer risk – study

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/dec/17/wood-burners-urban-air-pollution-cancer-risk-study

Wood burners emit more particle pollution than traffic, UK data shows

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/feb/15/wood-burners-emit-more-particle-pollution-than-traffic-uk-data-shows

On 17/10/2022 at 21:25, Longcol said:

It normally means "seasoned wood" ie wood that contains less than 20% water - either by drying naturally in warm, well aired, dry conditions eg a barn, or dried in a kiln / oven.

Properly seasoned wood gives off very little smoke so avoiding deposits in the chimney which can lead to chimney fires. It is natural wood from trees recently felled (last year or so), not waste wood eg floorboards, pallets etc which have been chemically treated.

Where we live in the French countryside nearly everyone burns wood - it's plentiful and cheap. £500 will keep our bungalow as warm as toast from now until Easter.

My pal lives in France and they have a wood burner. He told me that it is compulsory to have your chimney swept every year or it would invalidate your house insurance if the burner caused any damage. Is this still the case?