Tuc's Leader Says Says 'Workers Are Being Pushed To Breaking Point'

On 19/10/2022 at 13:08, L00b said:

‘Told you it was a most perfect of perfect storms. But will you listen, for once? Or charge yet again at the Covid lockdown windmills?

"Covid lockdown windmills", pure fluke then ? :

1038095277_InflationlinkedtoCovidlockdow

1 hour ago, Magilla said:

That can't be right.... everyone knows it's all Bidens fault... :suspect: :hihi:

...but regardless, your graph is of interest rates, not GDP :?

It's all linked. Inflation went up once a bit of vaccine generated confidence boosted the government subsidised demand which then exceeded the lockdown throttled supply.

And interest rates will now be going through the roof to try and dampen inflation (which the government largely created by pumping many billions into the economy to prevent economic catastrophe when they shut down much of that economy) and that will help accelerate the inevitable recession.

All of which was totally predictable.

Edited by Chekhov

24 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

It's all linked.

It's irrelevant to Loobs claim, that the UK is the only country in the G7 who's economy has not yet exceeded pre-pandemic levels...

...that is a result of Brexit.

Seems like you're responding to the wrong poster, or posting an irrelevant response to a claim you appear to have misunderstood.

28 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

It's all linked. Inflation went up once a bit of vaccine generated confidence boosted the government subsidised demand which then exceeded the lockdown throttled supply.

And interest rates will now be going through the roof to try and dampen inflation (which the government largely created by pumping many billions into the economy to prevent economic catastrophe when they shut down much of that economy) and that will help accelerate the inevitable recession.

All of which was totally predictable.

Yeah it must have been lockdowns that hit the market so badly starting from late February.  After all, that drop didn't happen in Sweden, did it?  Oh, hang on a minute...

On 19/10/2022 at 12:59, Chekhov said:

Latest hypocrite :

The Times 17 Oct 22 (p8) :

Jonathan Reynolds, the shadow business secretary, told the BBC "I don't know which bits of the budget still apply and I don't know what we will hear next week . What I will say is, any cuts the Conservative Party brings forward are entirely of its own making. Entirely because of its own incompetence [and nothing whatsoever to do with shutting down much of the economy for months on end, which we in the labour party enthusiastically supported].

I don’t think that you should be misquoting people in this way.

It is very deceitful.

1 hour ago, Tyke02 said:

Yeah it must have been lockdowns that hit the market so badly starting from late February.  After all, that drop didn't happen in Sweden, did it?  Oh, hang on a minute...

The Footsie* never dropped anywhere near to its March 2020 level after Ukraine, though  I never said the Ukraine war has not had an effect, quite the opposite.

It was entirely predictable that the stock market would rise once the world was told effective vaccines were definitely on the way (though I bet few people thought it'd take so long to get back to normal) which is one of the reasons I put my pension back into shares in late 2020.

The market is finely balanced, esp these days, and any upset (such as the Ukraine war) can be significant. The obvious point is if any upset to the market can have serious consequences, then a massive upset, like the unprecedented one of shutting down much of the economy for months on end and severely disrupting society in other (ostensibly non economic) ways,  must have a catastrophic effect. And it has, and will continue to have for years.

* FTSE 100 Index :

20 Mar 20 = 5190

Minimum so far this year = 6858

1 hour ago, sibon said:

I don’t think that you should be misquoting people in this way.

It is very deceitful.

How am I misquoting anyone ?

Chekhov said:

Latest hypocrite :

The Times 17 Oct 22 (p8) :

Jonathan Reynolds, the shadow business secretary, told the BBC "I don't know which bits of the budget still apply and I don't know what we will hear next week . What I will say is, any cuts the Conservative Party brings forward are entirely of its own making. Entirely because of its own incompetence [and nothing whatsoever to do with shutting down much of the economy for months on end, which we in the labour party enthusiastically supported].

His quote is quite plainly in italics, and my reminder of what the Labour party actually did at the time is in plain text and square brackets. A commonly used mechanism in writing, I am assuming you as a science teacher read ?

Edited by Chekhov

4 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

How am I misquoting anyone ?

His quote is quite plainly in italics, and my reminder of what the Labour party actually did at the time is in plain text and square brackets. A commonly used mechanism in writing, I am assuming you as a science teacher read ?

You see, the usual way to quote someone is to

use speech marks. You’ve opened yours, but failed to close them. Then you’ve made up a bit that you wish that Mr Reynolds had said. But he didn’t say it. It came entirely out of your head.

That’s why you are misquoting and misleading. 

You do it a lot.

It is a very dishonest way to conduct a debate.

@Chekhov

And nothing to do with what the ruling Conservative Party with Johnson ,Raab,Hancock at the helm actually did,and it’s further incompetence with the appointment of Truss and Kwarteng ‘sbudget.

Throw the Brexit mess into the equation and it’s difficult to conceive of a worse period in British politics.

47 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

The Footsie* never dropped anywhere near to its March 2020 level after Ukraine, though  I never said the Ukraine war has not had an effect, quite the opposite.

Did you read what I wrote? You were attributing the initial drop to lockdowns.  

Most if not all of the FTSE drop occurred before the UK lockdown was announced.  I expect the market was reacting to the idea that whatever else happened disruption due to the pandemic was bound to cause issues, even in advance of knowing about lockdowns. 

Sweden did not lock down and still had a similar drop in the OMXS30 at the same time as the UK.  What caused that?

You haven't demonstrated causation, and even correlation looks a little weak.