Tuc's Leader Says Says 'Workers Are Being Pushed To Breaking Point'

45 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

That inflation graph is wrong anyway, inflation at about 10%.
We always buy Colmans Tartare sauce and it always cost £1.
Earlier this year it went up to £1.25, which was bad enough, but just now in Asda (Chaucer Rd) it was £1.50.

My experience proves the opposite of what you are (purposefully) incorrectly concluding.

"Vulnerable" people were shielding themselves without any edicts from the government. There was no need to shag the economy (and society, obviously) by forcing people who were at no risk from the virus to stay at home, and, in fact, pay them huge amounts of money to do so.

And if shielding doesn't work why are thousands still doing it ?

Have you sent a letter of complaint to ASDA  ?

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

My experience proves the opposite of what you are (purposefully) incorrectly concluding.

"Vulnerable" people were shielding themselves without any edicts from the government. There was no need to shag the economy (and society, obviously) by forcing people who were at no risk from the virus to stay at home, and, in fact, pay them huge amounts of money to do so.

And if shielding doesn't work why are thousands still doing it ?

As ever, a rapid change of subject because you haven't demonstrated a link between the market crash and lockdown.

57 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Have you sent a letter of complaint to ASDA  ?

Are you recommending that course of action ?

26 minutes ago, Tyke02 said:

As ever, a rapid change of subject because you haven't demonstrated a link between the market crash and lockdown.

How blinkered would someone have to be to think there is no connection between our present economic disaster and the fact half the economy was shut down for months on end ?

That's the question.

Edited by Chekhov

34 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

How blinkered would someone have to be to think there is no connection between our present economic disaster and the fact half the economy was shut down for months on end ?

That's the question.

Then answer the questions about how the crash started to happen before lockdowns were mooted here or in Italy.  Also why the crash occurred at the same time in Sweden when they didn't lock down.

How blinkered do you need to be to claim that the pandemic itself would not have had economic impacts without lockdown?

On 18/10/2022 at 07:44, Chekhov said:

Frances O'Grady - TUC general Secretary :

https://www.independent.co.uk/business/tuc-general-secretary-says-workers-are-being-pushed-to-breaking-point-b2204757.html

Workers are being ‘pushed to breaking point’

The UK is on course for two decades of “lost living standards”, a union leader is warning.

TUC general secretary Frances O’Grady said workers were being “pushed to breaking point” amid the ongoing cost-of-living crisis.

I think she is right that the economy will be knackered for years to come, but she blames "the damage the Tories have done to our economy".

Politicians really are such hypocrites.

Funny how she didn't major on the real cause and no political party could have done any different. In fact she, and the Labour party, wanted to borrow even more money to pay people for sitting at home on their ****s for months and months.

Ms O'Grady should set up a reminder on her phone : "money doesn't grow on trees".

I don't think it's just the worker's being pushed to breaking point. I think everyone is.  

They say poor mental health is reaching epidemic proportions and I can well believe it from what I've seen. 

I've never known the country be at such a low point.

On 18/10/2022 at 07:44, Chekhov said:

Funny how she didn't major on the real cause and no political party could have done any different. In fact she, and the Labour party, wanted to borrow even more money to pay people for sitting at home on their ****s for months and months.

Ms O'Grady should set up a reminder on her phone : "money doesn't grow on trees".

What a surprise (not), the chickens finally coming home to roost :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63465935

Treasury warns of tax rises to fill financial hole

A Treasury source did not put a figure on what they called "the fiscal black hole", but the BBC has previously been told it may need to be at least £50bn.

"It is going to be rough," the source said. "The truth is that everybody will need to contribute more in tax if we are to maintain public services."

Edited by Chekhov

Long gone are the times when employers would build housing and parks for workers. The term living wage should not be even a thought but it's because employers have been taking the piddle for decades. This has slowly eroded everything as its the people who spend that keep everything going, and none have any money to spend.

On 19/10/2022 at 13:32, L00b said:

I haven’t, because that’s a strawman argument based on your perception/interpretation of my post.

I’m confident that you understand what ‘killing off’ means, i.e. it’s gone and not coming back.

Covid/lockdowns didn’t kill off UK GDP. They suppressed it, for the duration of the lockdowns, then UK GDP was free to flourish apace, anew, once normal activity resumed. Like everywhere else.

Over a year on (at least), economic and trading statistics show that GDP has returned to and exceeded pre-pandemic levels everywhere else, but in the UK.

That’s my last about Covid lockdowns. I’m done breathing debating life into your crusading psychodrama.

Yeah, for two and half years those of us who have been predicting possibly the biggest recession since the 1930s "don't know what we're talking about" :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63471725

The Bank of England has warned the UK is facing its longest recession since records began, as it raised interest rates by the most in 33 years.
It warned the UK would face a "very challenging" two-year slump with unemployment nearly doubling by 2025.
While it will not be the UK's deepest downturn, it will be the longest since records began in the 1920s, the Bank said.

Not that it took much in the way of predictive powers, since March 2020 it was obvious to anyone with half a brain what would happen.

Edited by Chekhov