Obesity Not Hunger

1 hour ago, fools said:

have a day off, turn on oven, open oven, insert frozen pizza, close oven. Return 15 minutes later.

Saving about a tenner over a takeaway, and far fewer calories.

People are fat because they consume too many calories, it's their fault, and their responsibility to fix if they are bothered, not the governments.

I would make one change though, the calorie counts should be made much clearer on the packaging

A frozen pizza is hardly a nutritious meal made from fresh ingredients is it? 

It's processed crap at it's finest. 

1 hour ago, fools said:

Are you serious? You think an adult is incapable of putting meat and two veg on a plate.

Of course, but we were discussing time and budget as well.

You have the broccoli but meat costs a lot, so what's it to be? Roast chicken or chicken nuggets?

Chips or mashed potato (made from peeling real spuds of course.) etc.

Then what you having for breakfast and lunch?

Edited by Anna B

1 hour ago, fools said:

People are fat because they consume too many calories, it's their fault, and their responsibility to fix if they are bothered, not the governments.

Agreed. 

That is where people have a problem. They are so used to having meals on a regular basis, the old 3 square meals a day bit,  rather than eating when hungry and that is one of the reasons people are putting on weight. There is also the other part that goes with that and that is one must be hot for some strange reason.

Eat and drink when hungry and thirsty.

The good news is, because of inflation people are now cutting down on their shopping and intake so that may also have a health benefit.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Anna B said:

A frozen pizza is hardly a nutritious meal made from fresh ingredients is it? 

It's processed crap at it's finest. 

You're all over the place with these arguments.

Choosing what goes into a meal is a split second decision for most people, not sure why you think it's a big deal. Buy some assorted veg, some assorted protein, chuck some of it in a pan, or an oven, what's the problem

If you think peeling a spud is difficult or too time consuming, or too costly, eat a pizza. About £1.15 last I looked, and 700-900 calories.

It's bread and cheese and tomato sauce, plus assorted toppings, frozen fresh, who cares if it's put together in a factory, or a takeaway.

you can buy most veg frozen or tinned if you really don't have the capability of using a knife, all you have to do is use the magic machine in the kitchen to warm it up.

Chicken is cheap, there is no need to eat nuggets, it's a nonsense argument.

Cooking 7 days in a row is nothing btw, humans have been doing it for a long long time

--

There's an obvious mindset difference going on, all of life's problems are down to the Tories in your view, or nasty businesses.

Edited by fools
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

There's also the question of budget, planning meals and shopping for ingredients, and the knowledge and skill required to cook a meal from scratch which is sadly lacking in some cases.  

The premade tuna salad in Asda are great, two for £3

I had porridge for tea last night, made mostly with water, cheap and healthier than visiting the supermarket last night.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Anna B said:

Can we please not return to these  old chestnuts. 

It's much more complicated than that. It's not only about money, but several issues. Time, for instance. When people are at work all day and tired, not getting home till after 6pm, the last thing they feel like doing is preparing a meal from scratch. There's also the question of budget, planning meals and shopping for ingredients, and the knowledge and skill required to cook a meal from scratch which is sadly lacking in some cases.  

All excuses!

I used to be like that until i looked at my life and made some changes.

You say 'time' - people have time to sit and scroll through social media or watch dross on TV. And 'knowledge'? With the myriad of cooking shows on TV, YouTube and even Alexa providing recipes, there really is no excuse for not knowing how to cook.

With the budgeting issue - in the industry in which i work, i deal with people who claim that they can't afford to pay rent or buy food, but when we do an audit of their income/outgoings, they seem to think Netflix is a necessity! And, yes, many don't see a problem with spending money on their smoking/drinking whilst using foodbanks to feed their children.

• Like 1

Children whose parents lack warmth more likely to grow up obese, study finds | Obesity | The Guardian- this has been published today. 

Obviously feel free to continue the right wing tropes and judgemental attitudes about how people spend their money. Feel free to take one example and generalise it across a whole population, the Daily Mail has become very powerful doing just that. 

32 minutes ago, S35_2o21 said:

Children whose parents lack warmth more likely to grow up obese, study finds | Obesity | The Guardian- this has been published today. 

Obviously feel free to continue the right wing tropes and judgemental attitudes about how people spend their money. Feel free to take one example and generalise it across a whole population, the Daily Mail has become very powerful doing just that. 

'Right wing tropes'

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Like 1

Feeding a family - been there, done that, for years... 

They all survived my cooking and have grown up strong and healthy.

It wasn't easy then, but it must be a nightmare now, especially for those on low incomes. I really feel for them. 

It's the judgemental attitude of people that gets me cross. It's a complex issue with several things in play. 

But according to them it's just about beer and fags and daytime TV which is utter rubbish.

But then these are probably the same people who were saying a few years ago that food banks didn't exist....