Obesity Not Hunger

8 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Feeding a family - been there, done that, for years... 

They all survived my cooking and have grown up strong and healthy.

It wasn't easy then, but it must be a nightmare now, especially for those on low incomes. I really feel for them. 

It's the judgemental attitude of people that gets me cross. It's a complex issue with several things in play. 

But according to them it's just about beer and fags and daytime TV which is utter rubbish.

But then these are probably the same people who were saying a few years ago that food banks didn't exist....

Again...

I see it regularly because of my job that many people prioritise the wrong things, time being one of them. I've also seen it when i lived on a council estate where the husband drove a new-ish BMW, but they were having food delivered by charities.

And, again, with access to the resources we have as a society with the internet and TV, lack of knowledge is no longer an excuse. You go into supermarkets and they have recipe cards!

I set myself a challenge a few weeks ago to prep my post-gym meals - i managed to get 4 good sized portions for around a fiver with ingredients from Aldi. To batch cook it took me 20mins and was high protein, full of veg and wholewheat pasta.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Feeding a family - been there, done that, for years... 

They all survived my cooking and have grown up strong and healthy.

It wasn't easy then, but it must be a nightmare now, especially for those on low incomes. I really feel for them. 

It's the judgemental attitude of people that gets me cross. It's a complex issue with several things in play. 

But according to them it's just about beer and fags and daytime TV which is utter rubbish.

But then these are probably the same people who were saying a few years ago that food banks didn't exist....

Or that the vast majority of clients are 'addicted' to foodbanks....Use money for cigs, booze, hair extensions etc.

I've no idea if research has been done on foodbank users, their lives and their circumstances, however it would be very interesting to read. Even if for only some light, as opposed to the torrent of posts punching downwards, and about how wonderfully frugal and resourceful these posters are as opposed to the feckless and ignorant people who can't budget, cook etc....

13 minutes ago, leviathan13 said:

Again...

I see it regularly because of my job that many people prioritise the wrong things, time being one of them. I've also seen it when i lived on a council estate where the husband drove a new-ish BMW, but they were having food delivered by charities.

And, again, with access to the resources we have as a society with the internet and TV, lack of knowledge is no longer an excuse. You go into supermarkets and they have recipe cards!

I set myself a challenge a few weeks ago to prep my post-gym meals - i managed to get 4 good sized portions for around a fiver with ingredients from Aldi. To batch cook it took me 20mins and was high protein, full of veg and wholewheat pasta.

I don't know what you do, and I'm not about to ask 'cause of privacy (tho' you can tell us if you want.) But be aware that you are probably dealing with a certain section of the population, that don't necessarily represent every mindset.

To be frank, there are some people with low intelligence that don't receive the support and help they need. 

Edited by Anna B