Obesity Not Hunger

2 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Very moving 

Very suspicious more like.  

I would have preferred it if so-called ITV "news" had actually done some proper journalism and drilled down into what led to the problems, proper context to their backgrounds and actually fully explain why these people have ended up in such desperate states instead of pushing the easy emotive clickbait 'oh dearism' agenda.

The crying pensioner who says she needs her job to survive and so worried about struggling with increasing costs to the point where she allegedly can't even afford to cook a piece of bread.  Is that it. Is that all we're going to get. Are we supposed to react to that little bit of dialogue and make an informed opinion on it.  Are we supposed to blindly accept it at face value.....  What exactly what she doing before the pandemic? Was she retired? Was she already drawing her pension? Where are her family? Does she own a property? What was her career before she took this 'cleaning job' as 'a bit of a social' as she described. She was obviously managing well enough back then to the point where she clearly chose she didn't need to work and just did it as a bit of a jolly.  Now she is full-time working 5 days a week - at minimum wage that's earnings over £1,500 a month. Where is it all going?  How about questioning why,  if she is struggling so much to afford to make toast - she is continuing with the burden of responsibility and expense of owning a dog.  What about asking her about her living arrangements. She appears to proport she's on her own and thus I'm suspicious as to the size of her property.  If she is claiming her bills are now over a £250 a month, Why has she not consider moving elsewhere smaller, downsizing, freeing up some capital and generally taking responsibility to manage her money.....  Everyone else is facing the struggles and as they have done many times before they adapt and manage. What makes her so special.

Same of the shopkeepers and their dramatic pause to take an emotional moment off camera.  God what a cliche.  Why have these hardened journalists not done some proper drilling into the full context of why the stores are struggling, have they not asked basic things about where the regular footfall is from customers, what sort of products they are stocking, will their products suit the local market, what supermarket competitors are doing a better job?  Is it really so simplistic to blame price rises and the government.  Again, what makes them so special, lots of retailers are feeling the pinch. But many are adapting changing and surviving.

30-years ago the news was there to stone-faced report facts. Now thanks to the countless multimedia channels and platforms all jockeying for ones attention, there seems to be a trend of news continually descending into these emotive, reactionary, guff pieces which used to be reserved for the likes of This Morning and the tabloid chat shows.

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Very suspicious more like.  

I would have preferred it if so-called ITV "news" had actually done some proper journalism and drilled down into what led to the problems, proper context to there backgrounds and actually fully explain why these people have ended up in such desperate states instead of pushing the easy emotive clickbait 'oh dearism' agenda.

The crying pensioner who says she needs her job to survive and so worried about struggling with the increasing costs to the point where she allegedly can't even afford to cook a piece of bread.  Is that it. Is that all we're going to get. Are we supposed to react to that little bit of dialogue and make an informed opinion on it.  Are we supposed to blindly accept it at face value.....  What exactly what she doing before the pandemic? Was she retired? Was she already drawing her pension? Where are her family? Does she own the a property? What was her career before she took this 'cleaning job' as a bit of a social' as she described. She was obviously managing well enough back then to the point where she clearly chose she didn't need to work and just did it as a bit of a jolly.  Now she is is full-time working 5 days a week - at minimum wage that's earnings over £1,500 a month. Where is it all going?  How about questioning why,  if she is struggling so much to afford to make toast - she is continuing with the burden of responsibility and expense of owning a dog.  What about asking her about her living arrangements. She appears to proport she's on her own and thus I'm suspicious as to the size of a property.  If she is claiming her bills or now over a £250 a month, Why has she not consider moving elsewhere smaller, downsizing, freeing up some capital and generally taking responsibility to manage her money.....  Everyone else is face in the struggles and as they have done many times before they doctor managed. What makes her so special.

Same of the shopkeepers and their dramatic pause to take an emotional moment off camera.  God what a cliche.  Why have these hardened journalists not done some proper drilling into the full contents of Wylie stores are struggling, have they not asked basic things where the regular football from customers, what sort of products they are stocking, will their products suit the local market, with their supermarket competitors are doing a better job?  Is it really so simplistic to blame price rises and the government.  Again, what makes them so special, lots of retailers are feeling the pinch. But many are adapting changing and surviving.

30-years ago the news was there to used to stone-faced report facts. Now thanks to the countless multimedia channels and platforms all jockeying for ones attention, there seems to be a  seems to be a trend of news continually descending into these emotive, reactionary, guff pieces which used to be reserved for the likes of This Morning and the tabloid chat shows.

Such a pity ITV couldn't have had you interrogating the pensioner. I'm sure that would've been most enlightening.

You call the news reactionary, yet you spew the bilge up above so easily.

Great self awareness Ecco....

2 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Such a pity ITV couldn't have had you interrogating the pensioner. I'm sure that would've been most enlightening.

You call the news reactionary, yet you spew the bilge up above so easily.

Great self awareness Ecco....

It's not about interrogating it's about establishing facts and context in order to make a worthy report.

To fail to do so just produces a one-sided emotive story designed to do nothing more than create reaction and speculation. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

Feeding a family - been there, done that, for years... 

They all survived my cooking and have grown up strong and healthy.

It wasn't easy then,

Having to pay high interest rates on the mortgage together with high inflation doesn't help. BTW Which government were in power back then?

but it must be a nightmare now, especially for those on low incomes. I really feel for them. 

It's the judgemental attitude of people that gets me cross. It's a complex issue with several things in play. 

But according to them it's just about beer and fags and daytime TV which is utter rubbish.

But then these are probably the same people who were saying a few years ago that food banks didn't exist....

Anna, with due respect you obviously don't live on a council estate as if you did you would see the reality of how the so called poor live! There maybe some that are in desperate need and should be helped but its not widespread.

BTW food banks exist and are popular because they are there and available to use. If they were not there, as in the past, then people would still cope the same as they did in the past. Did you use a food bank?

Edited by Dromedary
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, steve68 said:

she said she toasts bread using the ovens grill, and won't use her oven.

cheapest toaster we have cost £2 new a month ago in B&Q always plenty in the charity shops too

I doubt many people could find such a bargain these days. As for charity shops they are not allowed to sell second hand electrical items.

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

It's not about interrogating it's about establishing facts and context in order to make a worthy report.

To fail to do so just produces a one-sided emotive story designed to do nothing more than create reaction and speculation. 

I don't know this because I'm not a reporter at one of the country's most high profile broadcasting stations; but I would expect them to have done their homework in terms of establishing facts.

Yes, sometimes broadcasting organisations do make mistakes; but if they just racked up at someone's house, put onions in front of their eyes, and told them to talk about how they're struggling without establishing basic facts and assessing the person's credibility beforehand, then their credibility as a news organisation would be shot to pieces.

Edited by Mister M

1 hour ago, Dromedary said:

Having to pay high interest rates on the mortgage together with high inflation doesn't help. BTW Which government were in power back then?

Anna, with due respect you obviously don't live on a council estate as if you did you would see the reality of how the so called poor live! There maybe some that are in desperate need and should be helped but its not widespread.

BTW food banks exist and are popular because they are there and available to use. If they were not there, as in the past, then people would still cope the same as they did in the past. Did you use a food bank?

People needing to pay mortgages can be just as badly off, so can working people with bus fares to pay etc. Poverty is no longer confined to the poor. It's creeping up the social scale. 

I don't live on a council estate, but I did as a child and there was nothing wrong with it. My mother was a stay at home housewife for most of my childhood and we ate very well for very little money. But the world has changed since then, not in a good way.

That doesn't make all unfortunate people feckless and lazy, it very much depends on a range of circumstances. Tarring everyone with the same brush is wrong. If it's that good, offer to exchange places with them...

I have never used a foodbank, but know people who have had to, and their feeling of shame and failure (they're not) just adds to the awful experience. But thank goodness foodbanks are there for emergencies. What a pity that in this day and age they are necessary.

Poverty in the UK is very real, and increasing.  

Edited by Anna B

1 hour ago, Dromedary said:

What proportion of people on council estates are not in desperate need compared to those that are?